Foraging for edible plants and weeds, etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jerusalem Artichoke, aka sunchokes. They flower in the fall, grow
quite tall, and once they have died back, the tuberous roots are
edible.
Easy to identify when flowering. because the flowers smell somewhat
like chocolate!

Thanks :) The plant looks familiar, never seen them flower before but I'll be sure to look now!

Twice a year, I scavenge all kinds of citrus fruit, grapefruit, oranges tangerines, lemons, from branches that overhang the sidewalk and alleys. Does that count?
Also, right now, I can gather "fake" pomegranates. I have given these to The Kid (I didn't want to try them myself in case they were poisonous! :p) and she says that they taste much like the real thing, but the flesh is white instead of red and the tree beats fruit twice a year (I understand that real pomegranates are univoltine), like just about everything else around here.

Twice a year, I scavenge all kinds of citrus fruit, grapefruit, oranges tangerines, lemons, from branches that overhang the sidewalk and alleys. Does that count?
Also, right now, I can gather "fake" pomegranates. I have given these to The Kid (I didn't want to try them myself in case they were poisonous! :p) and she says that they taste much like the real thing, but the flesh is white instead of red and the tree beats fruit twice a year (I understand that real pomegranates are univoltine), like just about everything else around here.

Don't think you can call it foraging but you made me laugh :LOL:
Never heard of fake pomegranates, must google it. Sounds interresting.

I'm going foraging later today...in the produce department. Much of what I need does not grow around here unless in a garden and that season is over. I also have an allergy to buckshot which is what I would get if I started foraging in gardens...

I'm going foraging later today...in the produce department. Much of what I need does not grow around here unless in a garden and that season is over. I also have an allergy to buckshot which is what I would get if I started foraging in gardens...

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Oh my soul, you're so funny sometimes! I would smuggle you some weeds but I'm allergic to latex gloves in my backside :angel:

Funny but wrong...silly ogress.

PrincessFiona60 said:

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I found burdock!!!! Lots of it. Think I'll try and plant some of the seeds too so that I can have them growing at home. I must find some recipes and uses for it. Anyone here ever use burdock leaves or flowers? I know the root is used often but I'm not sure how to use the rest of the plant.

I was looking at my garden plots today and this "weed" was covering most of the ground. I believe it is chickweed. It checks off all of the identifiers. I'm thinking of trying to make a chickweed pesto tomorrow. Does anyone have other recipes for it?

Attachments

• 2021-03-20.jpg
    2021-03-20.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 73
Back
Top Bottom