"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-29-2007, 05:15 PM   #1
Head Chef

Free Range Eggs vs. Non-Free Range

I was just wondering which you choose and prefer to eat. Back in America I use to just by the typical Grade A refrigerated eggs, but my local grocery store here in London only sells free range.

I have noticed some differences. The free range are darker in color and in my opinion taste much better, but they are much harder to crack (I never had a problem with shells, but now I do) as well as very hard to peel after they are hard boiled.

What's your opinion?

Old 06-29-2007, 05:30 PM   #2
Executive Chef

I only buy organic free range eggs here.

Old 06-29-2007, 05:56 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Supermarket eggs for us.

The color of the yolk is determined by the chicken's diet.

They are harder to peel because they are fresh. Older eggs peel easier.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:23 PM   #4
Executive Chef

The darker shell doesn't mean the chicken is free range either - only that the chicken was a different breed than one that lays white eggs. My mom used to have different breeds of chickens and her eggs varied by whatever type they were. Some eggs were white, some brown, some colored.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:33 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Yep, what Andy said. Fresh eggs peel harder when they are hard cooked. There are some tricks to cooking them, adding vinegar, different things to help them out.
I just had someone bring me some fresh eggs the other week. Unbelievable the difference. I noticed that on the first burp when I didn't have that egg taste in my mouth. Excellent taste! Both ways!
Depending on what the chickens are free ranging on can affect the taste, too. Don't want them getting into a garlic patch! But I couldn't really tell any difference myself between the cheap store bought eggs and the more expensive ones.

I've got about thirteen more weeks before I start enjoying fresh eggs all the time

but I'm going to monitor what they eat for egg consistency
Old 06-29-2007, 06:43 PM   #6
Head Chef

pacanis, thanks for the tip about the vinegar. I'm going to give that a try next time. Do you just put it in the boiling water with the whole egg, boil, and then peel?
Old 06-29-2007, 07:08 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Here's a few things you can try
How to do hard boiled fresh eggs??

I don't know yet myself.... I haven't tried hard cooking the fresh ones I was brought
Old 06-30-2007, 08:34 AM   #8
Head Chef

I always buy an extra dozen of jumbo eggs and keep them in the fridge for 2 weeks. These are the eggs I hard boil for salads or whatever. They peel very easily when they're not fresh.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:16 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

i'll see if i can find the old posts, but there was a thread where one of the members, who worked or owned an egg producing farm, mentioned that "free range" chickens can be labelled as that, even though they may never get outdoors. so long as the door in the huge barn with thousands of birds is left open so that a few can get outside to a poop covered patio, they can be called free range.

it does conjure up a nice image of chickens running around, playing their chicken games in a sunny, wildflower covered yard, doesn't it?

organic, however, is another story. it is more strict, having to do with their diet and treatment of disease.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 09:55 AM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

I believe federal regs say that chickens have to have acess to the great outdoors for five minutes a day.

If you're buying from a giant supplier, it doesn't much matter what the label says unless it's certified organic. Don't expect bucky's image of fields of wildflowers to be anywhere near reality. The only way you are going to get that is with local farms.