Freeze wine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janet H

Certifiable Executive Chef
Staff member
What happens if I freeze sauternes? I have a couple of recipes that call for this (or some other sweet wine that no one at my house will drink... I hate having the rest of the bottle go bad. Could I freeze it in cooking sized portions to use for next time and expect it to be usable?

I also have this issue with Marsala although it keeps longer as it's fortified. I expect this would make it harder to freeze - but could it be done?

I read or heard somewhere that you shouldn't cook with wine that you don't like by itself. So if "no one at your house will drink it", as you say, then I would guess they're not going to like whatever you put it in. But if you like it then I think your idea of freezing small portions is a great idea for you to have ice-pop snacks :)

I've frozen wine in ice cube trays for cooking, and it worked fine.

Can I ask what recipe calls for Sauternes?
I read or heard somewhere that you shouldn't cook with wine that you don't like by itself. So if "no one at your house will drink it", as you say, then I would guess they're not going to like whatever you put it in. But if you like it then I think your idea of freezing small portions is a great idea for you to have ice-pop snacks :)

I think that general rule applies more to things like "Two-Buck Chuck".

Martha Stewart says to freeze leftover wine in ice cube trays. When it is frozen solid, put it in a ziploc.

I don't like to drink sweet wine, but in a recipe that calls for a hint of sweetness, it would be fine.

Yes you absolutely can freeze wine for cooking later. Most people use an ice cube tray so they can just pop out a cube or two and trow that in as needed.

There is no issue with freezing wines in general. However, as sauterne is a semi-sweet dessert wine, the sugars and higher alcohol content may mean you will not be able to freeze it solid but only to the slush stage.

However, again, you don't have to worry about its going bad as you would a dry wine for the same reasons. You could just refrigerate it.

I've frozen wine in ice cube trays for cooking, and it worked fine.

Can I ask what recipe calls for Sauternes?

I have several.... a number of poached, sauced, fruit recipes, chicken with a honey sauternes glaze, an oyster recipe that has leeks and Coquilles St Jacques which is a family favorite.

Back
Top Bottom