"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-06-2004, 11:08 PM   #11

Agree absolutely Buckytom; pasta recipes are freezable but the pasta itself should be cooked a bit, in my own opinion, in order for the nuking to work out well....I'd prefer you did it in the oven (ie the reheating) but there you go...there's more than one way to skin a cat...

A few thoughts would be to have the meat fully cooked (like using veal, chicken or meatballs) and rested on top of the "individual" tray (you won't get sick from too-raw veggies-raw meat is a different scenario)

The "freezing period" and any "thawing period" will lock up the tastes and flavours most admirably...and accent the methods by which you do this...

I wish I could imagine the appropriate words or "sounds" about freezing cheese components, cooked or uncooked into this recipe, because cheese, once cooked, will take a VERY, VERY, delicate palate indeed, to discern any "difference" in a frozen lasagna...

And I "dare" any rebuttal on the point...

Lifter

Old 11-07-2004, 08:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
i've found fresh pasta, uncooked, freezes well, and cooks up in 5 minutes or so. to go with it, make a big pot of sausages and meatballs in gravy, and put into quart containers, dividing up the meat into each container. it will freeze into a big block, so you don't have to worry about burn.
to reheat, while norgeskog isn't watching, pop it in the nuker for 10 minutes, then into a covered sauce pan for another 10.
LOL!

that was too funny and unexpected! I am notorious for making a big pot of chili/soup/stew and freezing them in single-serve portions. If I am making something like chicken soup or stew, I like to use egg noodles and freeze just the base. Egg noodles cook quickly and the soup/stew can be ladled over some hot-cooked noodles when reheated. I have never frozen pasta.. not even uncooked.

Old 11-07-2004, 05:02 PM   #13
Master Chef

thanks guys for your further input.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:10 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Hi!
I am new to this board, but am a freezer cooking enthusiast.
When I was pregnant with my daughter, my sister and I made up 19 meals for after the baby came.
This last weekend, I went to my sisters, and we did the same for her, as she is due next month.
We made 31 meals.
It was so fun and such a great accomplishment to see their freezer so full!
She and I plan on doing it together every 6 months, and doubling everything we made, so that we each can take 1/2 home with us!
I'd LOVE to see a board on freezer meals, where we can share/swap recipes!
HUGS!
S
Old 03-16-2006, 07:19 PM   #15
Executive Chef

The trick is to wrap or store food to prevent air getting to it, thats why the food saver is so great it sucks out air that can freezer burn your food.if you want to freeze for a short period maybe a month or 2 your ok to use regular methods.I just bought a roll of Glad Freezer press and seal haven't tried it yet I would think it will be good for short term freezing.The only problem with the food saver is the plastic rolls are really expensive there is no reason for that but they got you where they want you on that one.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:02 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Corinne
I freeze a lot of casseroles. Uncooked. In the foil catering pans. Depending on what's in them, I cover them tightly with different "wraps". If there is tomato sauce in them, I cover them with plastic wrap first, then heavy duty foil. If there is no tomato sauce, I cover with Reynold's Wrap Release (especially if there is a cheese topping) - it's a heavy foil to start with. Now it's available in "heavy duty". Then I take 2" X 4" labels & write the contents & cooking instructions on them. Stick that on the top, cover with a piece of packing tape because the labels don't want to stay sometimes. Into the freezer & I am good to go!