"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 11-04-2004, 03:13 PM   #1
Master Chef
Freezer Meals?

Does anyone do this? I'm a little reluctant because I'm afraid of freezer burn. I don't have very good luck with freezing things......I'm putting one of those vaccum sealer things on my Christmas wishlist....along with my Hobart Kitchen Aid 5 qt Mixer :D .

Anyway.......care to share your recipe and any tips you have?

What doesn't freeze well?

Se non supporta il calore, vattene dalla cucina!
SizzlininIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 03:39 PM   #2
Chief Eating Officer
Wait until you get your vacuum saver. Then you will want to make freezer meals all the time. Freezer burn will be a thing of the past. I actually just end up freezing my leftovers, but things like lasagna do very well as freezer meals. I think potatoes and cream based things don't do as well.

You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 04:01 PM   #3
Hospitality Queen
I love freezing meals - I even asked for a forum for it.

There are 3 women who wrote a cookbook and then traveled around, promoting it to church groups, etc. They came to my MOPS(Mothers of pre-schoolers) group about 7 years ago and I've been doing it ever since.
The book is called "Don't panic! It's in the freezer"
The book gives you good tips, and some pretty decent recipes too.
It's become such a way of life for me that I've always got something to rely on when I don't have time to cook.

There are so many I do: manicotti, cranberry chicken, french dips, chicken cacciatore, beef flauta meat, soups, chilis, etc...

Here's a fun freezer meal - it's not hard at all, and makes a beautiful
presentation without work on the day you serve it:

Chicken Breasts in Phyllo

1 c cream cheese
1 c. chopped green onion
1/3 c. lemon juice
2 cloves minced garlic
2 tsp dried tarragon
12 chicken breast halves (boned & skinned)
salt & pepper to taste
1 c. butter, melted
24 sheets phyllo dough
1/3 c. parmesan cheese (freshly grated)

Cooking day instructions:
Combine first five ingredients to make sauce. Lightly sprinkle chicken breasts with salt & pepper. Place 2 sheets of phyllo on working surface. Quickly brush each sheet w/ melted butter (about 2 tsp). Spread about 1 T. of sauce on each side of chicken. Place breast in one corner of buttered phyllo sheets. Fold corner over breast, then fold sides over and roll breast up in the sheet to form a package.
Place in a greased baking dish (or put foil on pan for best results). Repeat with remaining chicken breasts and phyllo sheets. Brush packets with remaining butter and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Freeze by method below:

- Line your baking dish with aluminum foil first and then with a layer of plastic wrap (make sure that both are large enough to cover the bottom, sides and top of the dish). Fill the dish with your prepared meal. Seal the plastic wrap, removing as much air as possible. Then seal the outer aluminum foil layer. With the packaged meal still in the pan, place it in the freezer. Once the item has been flash frozen, slip the meal out of the pan and into a freezer bag.

Serving Day instructions:
Thaw completely before baking. Bake @ 375 degrees for 45-50 minutes, or until golden. Serve immediately.
Come visit my foodie blog: www.SockmonkeysKitchen.com
This week's topic: Pinterest and Potatoes
jkath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 04:48 PM   #4
Sous Chef
No recipe, just some info about what I do.

If it's something that goes in the oven, I make a lot. I at least double the recipe. So long as I can fit it on the rack, I make that much. Eat one and freeze the rest. I figure if I'm going to heat the oven, why heat it for one single small dish?

I don't get freezer burn if I use the dish in a month. I use the cheapest bags available. Vegetable bags work for short term freezing. I save my FoodSaver for freezing things I'll use in a year.
Psiguyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 06:57 PM   #5
Senior Cook
For years I have used a cookbook by Mimi Wilson - Cooking for a Month ( I think that's the name - it's in storage...] There are month and 2 week plans that you can follow and use their step by step instructions [chop 4 pounds of onions, cook 4 whole chickens and debone etc] or pick a few recipes and cook them up on one day - I've been using this since before I knew foodsavers existed and have never had a problem with storage for ~60 days. I stored most in freezer ziplock bags, with as much air as possible pushed out; some foods suggested freezing in a baking pan, but for those I generally froze in an aluminum foil lined pan then popped it out and put it in a zip lock. The most I"ve frozen in one day is probably 25 meals...all of them excellent frozen entrees, probably better after freezing than if eaten the same day.
JRsTXDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 08:15 PM   #6
Master Chef
Send a message via MSN to crewsk
These are good to freeze. I usually make them & put 2 or 3 in plastic containers without the spaghetti sauce & parmesan sprinkled on top. When I get ready for them I just thaw them & place them in a baking dish with the spaghetti sauce & sprinkle them with the parmesan cheese & bake as directed. I also keep containers of spaghetti sauce in the freezer.

Spinach Stuffed Lasagna Ruffles

1(8oz.)pkg lasagna noodles, uncooked
1(8oz)pkg cream cheese, softened
2(10oz.)pkgs frozen chopped spinach, thawed & drained
1(15oz)carton ricotta cheese
2C(8oz)grated mozzarella cheese
1 1/2C freshly grated parmesan cheese, divided
1 1/2tsp Italian seasoning
1/4tsp. salt
1(32oz)jar spaghetti sauce
Garnishes:fresh basil, freshly grated parmesan cheese

Cook noodles according to package directions & drain. Place noodles on layers of wax paper or plastic wrap.

Beat cream cheese at medium speed of electric mixer until smooth. Stir in spinach, ricotta, mozzarella. 1C. of parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, & salt. Spread 1/2C cheese mixture evenly over each cooked noodle. Roll up, jellyroll fashion, starting at narrow end. Cut lasagna rolls in half crosswise using a sharp knife.

Pour spaghetti sauce into a lightly greased 13x9x2 inch baking disk. Place lasagna ruffles, cut side down, over spaghetti sauce. Sprinkle top with remaining 1/2C parmesan cheese.

Cover & bake at 350F for 25 minutes or until lasagna ruffles are throughly heated. Garnish if desired. Yield 6-10 servings.

From Southern Living Our Best Five Star Recipes.
"Treat everyone with politeness,even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are."
crewsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 01:35 PM   #7
Senior Cook
So the secret is DONT BAKE THE PASTA DISH before you freeze it? I never really learned how to freeze, I only freeze herbs from the garden and prepared tomatoes from my garden. I would like to learn more on what NOT TO freeze.
debthecook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 02:57 PM   #8
Senior Cook
My freezer looks like the frozen food section in a market!! There are only the 2 of us...stews, soups, lasagna, meatballs w/sauce.... its usually hearty type food nothing creamy. I always make at least enough for a 2nd meal...on those days I want something home cooked but may not have the time..I just go to my freezer.
chez suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 09:11 PM   #9
Master Chef
Wow...........thanks everyone! This will surely help me out. My waking hours are starting to become quite hectic time wise, so this will def. help me out.
Se non supporta il calore, vattene dalla cucina!
SizzlininIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 09:34 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
i've found fresh pasta, uncooked, freezes well, and cooks up in 5 minutes or so. to go with it, make a big pot of sausages and meatballs in gravy, and put into quart containers, dividing up the meat into each container. it will freeze into a big block, so you don't have to worry about burn.
to reheat, while norgeskog isn't watching, pop it in the nuker for 10 minutes, then into a covered sauce pan for another 10.

in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote