"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-15-2011, 07:33 AM   #11
Sous Chef
 
JGDean's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Northwest Florida
Posts: 540
I couldn't find my cloves. Boiled in water with a cut lemon then dipped them in peri peri and grilled. DH loved them he's having leftovers for lunch today. I think my sense of smell and taste is more sensitive than his. I didn't care for them. I should probably go through the freezer once a month or so. I like the idea of donating to the zoo. I'm only 5 minutes away from ours. I'll keep that in mind in the future.
__________________

__________________
JGDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:51 AM   #12
Master Chef
 
Snip 13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brakpan, South Africa
Posts: 5,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGDean View Post
I couldn't find my cloves. Boiled in water with a cut lemon then dipped them in peri peri and grilled. DH loved them he's having leftovers for lunch today. I think my sense of smell and taste is more sensitive than his. I didn't care for them. I should probably go through the freezer once a month or so. I like the idea of donating to the zoo. I'm only 5 minutes away from ours. I'll keep that in mind in the future.
There's an easy way to control food from spoiling in your freezer.
I pack my chicken, beef, pork, fish etc separately and label them with date and contents. When I do my monthly shop I unpack everything that's still in there and pack the newest purchases at the bottom and older ones on top. That way when I take something out I know I'm taking what needs to be used first.
If I open something and only use some of it I make sure I seal it well to avoid freezer burn.
__________________

__________________
Odette
"I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass."

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:27 PM   #13
Executive Chef
 
chopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13

There's an easy way to control food from spoiling in your freezer.
I pack my chicken, beef, pork, fish etc separately and label them with date and contents. When I do my monthly shop I unpack everything that's still in there and pack the newest purchases at the bottom and older ones on top. That way when I take something out I know I'm taking what needs to be used first.
If I open something and only use some of it I make sure I seal it well to avoid freezer burn.
That takes organization, right?? ;)
__________________
No matter where I serve my guests, it seems they like my kitchen best!
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:22 AM   #14
Master Chef
 
Snip 13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brakpan, South Africa
Posts: 5,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
That takes organization, right?? ;)
Yes
How to prevent food poisoning.....
Can you say OCD?
__________________
Odette
"I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass."

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:05 PM   #15
Executive Chef
 
chopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13

Yes
How to prevent food poisoning.....
Can you say OCD?
Lol!
__________________
No matter where I serve my guests, it seems they like my kitchen best!
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:54 PM   #16
Cook
 
NotActuallyaHero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 56
Some great advice in here, guys. I love it!

You know, JGDean, there's a good chance that the taste was more noticeable for you because you went through the preparation process. You knew you were using substandard ingredients and smelled them throughout the process.

Someone coming in after they've been nicely prepared would never be the wiser.
__________________
Rob @ howtocookhero.com

*not actually a hero
NotActuallyaHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:58 PM   #17
Master Chef
 
Constance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Southern Illiniois
Posts: 8,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGDean View Post
I'm thawing out some chicken wings that have been frozen for some time (cleaning out the freezer). Is there anything I can do to remove the freezer smell and taste. I hate to throw stuff out.
Sprinkle fresh lemon juice over it and toss with your hands. It will freshen both the flavor and the taste.
__________________
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:53 PM   #18
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 277
That smell is very strange. I do try to eat fresh produce most of the time but it's handy to have some meat in the freezer.
__________________

__________________
Fabiabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
freezer

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.