Freezer Smell/Taste

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JGDean

Sous Chef
I'm thawing out some chicken wings that have been frozen for some time (cleaning out the freezer). Is there anything I can do to remove the freezer smell and taste. I hate to throw stuff out.

I would boil them for a few minutes (just about 10) with about 6 whole cloves then drain and pat dry with kitchen paper. Season to taste and grill till crispy.
I do this with cheap chicken to get the fishy smell out "you know the smell that only battery farmed chickens can have" lol!

Thanks, I'l try that. Maybe a bit of peri peri at the end of grilling?

That would be lovely or you could just squeeze a touch of lemon onto the wings then season with sea salt, black pepper and a sprinkle of paprika before grilling.
The cloves really do remove the smell of freezer burn so you can cook them any way after that.

I'd toss them in some peri peri before grilling as well!

Did you know some supermarkets add marinade and curry to meats and chicken when they are close to the sell by date? They then sell them at a more expensive price. The nerve! I can't tell you how many times I've gotten ill from so called marinated ready to grill products and bought curries from supermarkets!
Curry, peri peri and marinade mask most smells, not always a good thing :LOL:

I'm thawing out some chicken wings that have been frozen for some time (cleaning out the freezer). Is there anything I can do to remove the freezer smell and taste. I hate to throw stuff out.

Give them a good rinsing under cold water. That should solve most or all of the problem.

If these things don't seem to work, for other meats lost in the back of the freezer-donate freezer burned meats to a local zoo. Most will take them to feed to the animals who don't seem mind the taste.

chopper said:
If these things don't seem to work, for other meats lost in the back of the freezer-donate freezer burned meats to a local zoo. Most will take them to feed to the animals who don't seem mind the taste.

That's brilliant, Chopper!

I couldn't find my cloves. Boiled in water with a cut lemon then dipped them in peri peri and grilled. DH loved them he's having leftovers for lunch today. I think my sense of smell and taste is more sensitive than his. I didn't care for them. I should probably go through the freezer once a month or so. I like the idea of donating to the zoo. I'm only 5 minutes away from ours. I'll keep that in mind in the future.

I couldn't find my cloves. Boiled in water with a cut lemon then dipped them in peri peri and grilled. DH loved them he's having leftovers for lunch today. I think my sense of smell and taste is more sensitive than his. I didn't care for them. I should probably go through the freezer once a month or so. I like the idea of donating to the zoo. I'm only 5 minutes away from ours. I'll keep that in mind in the future.

There's an easy way to control food from spoiling in your freezer.
I pack my chicken, beef, pork, fish etc separately and label them with date and contents. When I do my monthly shop I unpack everything that's still in there and pack the newest purchases at the bottom and older ones on top. That way when I take something out I know I'm taking what needs to be used first.
If I open something and only use some of it I make sure I seal it well to avoid freezer burn.

Snip 13 said:
There's an easy way to control food from spoiling in your freezer.
I pack my chicken, beef, pork, fish etc separately and label them with date and contents. When I do my monthly shop I unpack everything that's still in there and pack the newest purchases at the bottom and older ones on top. That way when I take something out I know I'm taking what needs to be used first.
If I open something and only use some of it I make sure I seal it well to avoid freezer burn.

That takes organization, right?? ;)

Some great advice in here, guys. I love it!

You know, JGDean, there's a good chance that the taste was more noticeable for you because you went through the preparation process. You knew you were using substandard ingredients and smelled them throughout the process.

Someone coming in after they've been nicely prepared would never be the wiser.

Sprinkle fresh lemon juice over it and toss with your hands. It will freshen both the flavor and the taste.

That smell is very strange. I do try to eat fresh produce most of the time but it's handy to have some meat in the freezer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom