"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2019, 08:46 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Question Freezing cheese

DH and I went to a bulk food store the other day and they had Swiss Cheese on sale by the block. $1.99/ lb...who can resist? I asked the person behind the deli if cheese can be frozen and she said yes. SO, we brought the cheese home and chunked it in about 1 lb. blocks and vacuum sealed it. When we took it out to slice it, it crumbled coming off the slicer. What's the trick to freezing cheese or shouldn't we do it? Should we slice it before freezing? I'll say that we let the cheese set out for a few hours before trying to slice it, thinking if it was still chilled it might slice better, but...no.

Sikenurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 09:40 AM   #2
Senior Cook

I have frozen cheese when I have gotten deals like that. It does keep well vacuum sealed, but it does crumble, as you discovered. I only use it in cooked dishes, and I have frozen feta, which I want crumbly. Not sure what you could do to make it more sliceable (is that a word?), but you could try slicing it first, as you suggested.

Old 02-17-2019, 10:03 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

You could s.ice it first but it would still be crumbly. I tried freezing Romano with the same results-it crumbles when you try to grate it.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:45 AM   #4
Master Chef

I always keep frozen cheeses. Like you, I buy them when they are on sale and portion them up..as ph said, it is pretty much only useful for cooking or other dishes that you want crumbled cheese on it..I always find a use for it..
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 11:12 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

The only time I use sliced cheese is for sandwiches so I buy the pre sliced packages, otherwise I freeze almost all cheeses on sale, except for soft cheese like Brie.
Does anyone know the results of freezing Brie?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 12:48 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
The only time I use sliced cheese is for sandwiches so I buy the pre sliced packages, otherwise I freeze almost all cheeses on sale, except for soft cheese like Brie.
Does anyone know the results of freezing Brie?
Never done it, but I’d bet that it’d be a cold mess! From everything I’ve read, cheeses don’t freeze well. And soft cheeses REALLY don’t freeze well.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:46 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

I've frozen hard aged cheeses like Parmigiano Reggiano and Grana Padano with no issues. I agree that soft cheeses wouldn't do well.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:23 PM   #8
Master Chef

Like others have said, the only cheese I've ever frozen is hard cheese. I never throw away a parm reg rind - they are great in soups.

Living alone, I usually just buy what I think I'll use, and even plan menus around it.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:30 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sikenurse View Post
DH and I went to a bulk food store the other day and they had Swiss Cheese on sale by the block. $1.99/ lb...who can resist? I asked the person behind the deli if cheese can be frozen and she said yes. SO, we brought the cheese home and chunked it in about 1 lb. blocks and vacuum sealed it. When we took it out to slice it, it crumbled coming off the slicer. What's the trick to freezing cheese or shouldn't we do it? Should we slice it before freezing? I'll say that we let the cheese set out for a few hours before trying to slice it, thinking if it was still chilled it might slice better, but...no.
I have done exactly what you describe with Swiss cheese, and it was fine when thawed. I don't have a "slicer," other than my arm and a knife, but it seems to work okay for me.

I let mine thaw slowly in the fridge after I take it out of the freezer (still vacuum sealed). I know that some things do better when thawed very slowly. That may be something to try.

CD
Old 02-19-2019, 08:26 AM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
Never done it, but I’d bet that it’d be a cold mess! From everything I’ve read, cheeses don’t freeze well. And soft cheeses REALLY don’t freeze well.
Most cheese except soft cheeses freeze well for cooking purposes.

Previously frozen cheese is never good for slicing onto sandwiches or cubing for cheese trays.

IMO its never a good idea to buy cheese in bulk and freeze it unless you are going to cook with the frozen cheese.

Tags
cheese, free