Freezing Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amnesia180

Assistant Cook
Hello all,

I am new to these forums, and I think I will certainly be spending a lot of time here :)

I share a flat with my flat-mate, and I absolutely love cooking. We only have a small kitchen, but I think I certainly make the most of it!

Anyway, I am going to be cooking "Orange Chicken" tonight (a chinese favourite of mine!).

Now, If this goes successful, I can see myself battering a lot more chicken and trying different sauces/recipes.

But the question I have is, can I freeze the chicken?

The way I am coating the chicken is dipping the chicken in an egg mixture and shake in the flour mix (which will contain flour, salt and pepper). Do I freeze after this stage? Or shall I freeze after I have fried them in groundnut oil in a wok?

Thank you :)

I think that perhaps you don't want to freeze them with the coating on.It could end up to be a soggy mess. Not sure about freezing them after frying them.

Another question - would you recomend groundnut (peanut) oil to fry the chicken in batter? Or a vegetable/grapseed oil?

I think peanut oil would be the way to go. It's usually used

in Chinese cooking. If I was going to freeze the chicken, I would fry it first, then freeze individually on a cookie sheet, then put in freezer bags or containers. I'm thinking that I might bake from a frozen state, to try and preserve the crispsness, instead of refrying and then add to the sauce.

in Chinese cooking. If I was going to freeze the chicken, I would fry it first, then freeze individually on a cookie sheet, then put in freezer bags or containers. I'm thinking that I might bake from a frozen state, to try and preserve the crispsness, instead of refrying and then add to the sauce.

Lizannd, I think you have come up with the only way that freezing this type of dish will work.

If anyone has ever had any of the frozen entrees that are breaded, cooked and then frozen, you know how awful the texture can become. Doing it the above way, and baking (NOT microwaving!) from frozen may stand a chance.

OP, be sure to let us know how it goes!

Another question - would you recomend groundnut (peanut) oil to fry the chicken in batter? Or a vegetable/grapseed oil?

Grapeseed oil is not a viable option for frying, as it breaks down well below the temperature required for frying; it is best used for salad dressings and other raw applications. Olive oil can be used for frying , but at a temperature a little lower than normal, and it usually can't be reused.

Peanut oil is excellent, with canola (rapeseed) or safflower being good alternatives.

Definitely the peanut (ground nut) oil. Assuming that your chicken was NOT frozen to begin with, I'd just make the amount I want for one meal, then freeze the rest raw. Yes, once cooked you can safely freeze the chicken, but you will lose on the crust texture.

I agree with claire. I would not freeze fried chicken strips. I mean the best part about eating fried chicken is the crunch, so if it is frozen and then re-heated you are most likely going to loose all that crunch.

If you make a wet based breading, it will work better. Bread the whole breast and fry them 1/2 way. Allow too cool in the fridge. Cut into 1 inch pieces. You should be able to freeze them for a short time. Take the pieces out as needed. You should only have to fry them for a couple of minutes. This will crisp the breading, and the exposed side of the chicken.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom