"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-23-2015, 10:05 AM   #11
Senior Cook
 
FoodieFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Portland
Posts: 356
I keep Trader Joe's Jasmine Rice in the freezer for those days when I don't want to wait. Otherwise, I make it on the stove, takes 18 minutes and is perfect every time.
__________________

__________________
FoodieFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 10:45 PM   #12
Head Chef
 
RPCookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Logan County, Colorado
Posts: 2,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoodieFanatic View Post
I keep Trader Joe's Jasmine Rice in the freezer for those days when I don't want to wait. Otherwise, I make it on the stove, takes 18 minutes and is perfect every time.
Takes longer here at 4200 feet above sea level.

Then too, I rarely make white rice - it's been months since I cooked anything but brown rice, and that takes about an hour and a half here, as well as about 1.5-2 times as much water or stock as white rice does (the pot I use on the stove top doesn't seal tightly, so steam escapes - the longer it has to cook the more I lose to the air).
__________________

__________________
Rick
RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 11:26 PM   #13
Senior Cook
 
FoodieFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Portland
Posts: 356
Wow, never gave that a thought as we are 200ft above sea level in the valley.
__________________
FoodieFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 11:34 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Takes longer here at 4200 feet above sea level.

Then too, I rarely make white rice - it's been months since I cooked anything but brown rice, and that takes about an hour and a half here, as well as about 1.5-2 times as much water or stock as white rice does (the pot I use on the stove top doesn't seal tightly, so steam escapes - the longer it has to cook the more I lose to the air).
If you're eating brown rice for health reasons, its probably not worth the extra cost of energy to cook it: http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/hea...ter-white-rice
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:33 PM   #15
Head Chef
 
RPCookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Logan County, Colorado
Posts: 2,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
If you're eating brown rice for health reasons, its probably not worth the extra cost of energy to cook it: Nutrition Diva : Is Brown Rice Really Better Than White Rice? :: Quick and Dirty Tips ™
I think white rice is bland and boring. Brown rice has some flavor of it's own, then I always cook it with stock and wine and herbs and seasonings to enhance that still further. I can't really remember the last time I cooked plain rice, whether brown or white.
__________________
Rick
RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:40 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,894
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
If you're eating brown rice for health reasons, its probably not worth the extra cost of energy to cook it: Nutrition Diva : Is Brown Rice Really Better Than White Rice? :: Quick and Dirty Tips ™
I have to wonder about the reliability of something that says, "White rice, on the other hand, is higher in folate and thiamine." People who depended on rice as a major staple got beriberi, from lack of thiamine, when they switched from brown to white rice.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:41 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,894
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
I think white rice is bland and boring. Brown rice has some flavor of it's own, then I always cook it with stock and wine and herbs and seasonings to enhance that still further. I can't really remember the last time I cooked plain rice, whether brown or white.
I think it has more flavour too.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 01:18 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,919
Well, I wasn't talking about flavor - I was talking about nutrition. Personally, I don't like the flavor of brown rice. And I don't generally make plain white rice, either, but that's beside the point.

Re: the nutritional value, I'm referring to the rice sold in the United States, since that's where most of us live. From https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_rice

[QUOTE]A diet based on unenriched white rice leaves people vulnerable to the neurological diseases beriberi, due to a deficiency of*thiamine (vitamin B1).*White rice is often enriched with some of the nutrients stripped from it during its processing.[1]*Enrichment of white rice with B1,*B3, and*iron*is required by law in the*United States,.[2][3]"
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 04:52 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,894
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
[QUOTE=GotGarlic;1433675]Well, I wasn't talking about flavor - I was talking about nutrition. Personally, I don't like the flavor of brown rice. And I don't generally make plain white rice, either, but that's beside the point.

Re: the nutritional value, I'm referring to the rice sold in the United States, since that's where most of us live. From https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_rice

Quote:
A diet based on unenriched white rice leaves people vulnerable to the neurological diseases beriberi, due to a deficiency of*thiamine (vitamin B1).*White rice is often enriched with some of the nutrients stripped from it during its processing.[1]*Enrichment of white rice with B1,*B3, and*iron*is required by law in the*United States,.[2][3]"
After I replied, I did wonder if white rice was fortified. I really would have preferred if the article had mentioned that there is more thiamine in white rice, when it is fortified.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 03:36 AM   #20
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Southbroom
Posts: 10
Casserole type dishes freeze well too, such as tuna bakes, chicken broccoli Devine, pies, Sheppard's pie, etc. just to name a few....
__________________

__________________
teeinthekitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dinner

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.