Freezing Heavy Cream??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

letscook

Head Chef
I freeze buttermilk with out any problems.
I always end up with heavy cream left over and the have to try to figure out what to use it in to use it up.
Has anyone froze it and does it work or break down.
Your thoughts
Thank you

Just thought I'd mention that I've been buying shelf stable whipping cream in half pint boxes from Trader Joes. It sure is nice to have on hand in the pantry.

Hmm, thanks, Kayelle! Added to my twice a year TJ's list! (No TJ's within 3 hours or so from here.)

Good info there, Steve and Kay. Thanks. Sometimes when I make a cream of something or other soup, I only use a little heavy cream to sub with milk. I never thought of thinking of it as ice cream and freezing the rest.

I'll put those little half pints of shelf stable from TJs on my list, too. Not quite as far away as yours, Dawg, but still....three hours round trip. :)

Or..... you pour the rest over blackberries and smoosh em.

:yum:

Frank, I had earned $6 babysitting. I went to Joe Pushcart's store and bought a pint box of wild blueberries. Then I trotted over to the grocery store and bought me a pint of heavy cream. I washed the berries, had the cream on ice and poured it over my berries. Then I pigged out. A pint box is a lot of blueberries. But they were so good. Until I lost the whole thing. The cream was too rich for my stomach. And I would do it again today. I can still feel those berries letting their juice explode into my mouth. :angel:

I haven't had any luck whipping heavy cream that has been frozen. I have had luck freezing whipped cream.

Thanks all Im going to try it,
I never seems to have on hand when I'm in the mood for alfredo
What made me think of it - I was making chicken soup and decided to put gnocchi's in it and wish I had some heavy cream to add, poor planning on my part, but I was just planning to make regular chicken soup, but while cooking thought of Chicken and dumpling soup. I just added reg milk and added little cornstarch to it - turned out great. Perfect for this NY winter.

Frank, I had earned $6 babysitting. I went to Joe Pushcart's store and bought a pint box of wild blueberries. Then I trotted over to the grocery store and bought me a pint of heavy cream. I washed the berries, had the cream on ice and poured it over my berries. Then I pigged out. A pint box is a lot of blueberries. But they were so good. Until I lost the whole thing. The cream was too rich for my stomach. And I would do it again today. I can still feel those berries letting their juice explode into my mouth. :angel:

My grandparent's neigbors had a mulberry tree. The rule from the neighbors was "don't make any noise and get as many berries as you can because they make a mess on the ground". We would go pick a huge bowl of berries, rinse, pour some heavy cream on em... smoosh em up good. (maybe sprinkle a little sugar on) and eat. :yum:

You don't need as much cream as berries.

I freeze buttermilk with out any problems.
I always end up with heavy cream left over and the have to try to figure out what to use it in to use it up.
Has anyone froze it and does it work or break down.
Your thoughts
Thank you
In my experience with double cream which seems to be our equivalent, you are advised to whip it before freezing. If you thaw it and then stir it I've found it "breaks" and goes back to liquid and won't whip.

If you whip it and use it as filling or topping for a cake before freezing the cake it seems to be fairly stable.

You could always add some sort of soft fruit (berries such as raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, etc) and sugar to taste and make ice cream with it. Just mash up the fruit, add sugar (I use icing sugar - powdered sugar?), whip the cream to soft peaks and fold in the fruit and sugar and freeze.

I have even made whipped cream, scooshed it out of a pastry bag into small pretty "blobs", and then frozen them on a baking sheet lined with waxed paper. They have to be handled very carefully when you put them into a container. If you are going to use them within a few days, you can just leave them on the baking tray, if you have the space in your freezer.

Just thought I'd mention that I've been buying shelf stable whipping cream in half pint boxes from Trader Joes. It sure is nice to have on hand in the pantry.

I finally got around to trying Trader Joes shelf stable whipping cream!

I bought a couple boxes of the shelf stable cream a month or so ago and today I was able to get my first quart of locally grown strawberries so I decided to see how it whipped. I was a little discouraged when I opened the container and found that the cold cream was similar in consistency to sour cream, I thought it might be spoiled. I gave it a taste and it seemed fine so I whipped it with a teaspoon of vanilla and two tablespoons of Splenda. I was very impressed with the results and the fresh creamy taste, this is definitely a keeper!

Thanks for the tip Kayelle!

When I lived in Washington State, I lived in a little town just outside Tacoma. Working with the 4-H kids, I had developed a taste for whipping cream. There was a farm about 20 minutes where I lived. I would put Poo in his stroller and walk down there and back. Poo loved it there with all the animals. And I would love it there because I could buy a whole pint of raw whipping cream. It is so thick and rich right from the cow. I fell in love with it.

I don't buy it today because if I did, I would drink the whole thing down in one sitting. And then I would get sick again. :angel:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom