Freezing Squash

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sprout

Sous Chef
I got an end of summer steal on some lovely summer squash and have more than I can use before it goes bad. I plan to cook the extra partially and freeze it. Has anyone done this before? My dad (GW) said freezing it should work, but does anyone have any specific do's or don't's?

oops! I forgot, I have eggplant also. I love them together, especially with onions and garlic, so I planned on just freezing them together. should I go for the whole shebang and add the onions and garlic now and freeze it all together? or just the squash and eggplant & add the others when I use it?

Summer squash and eggplant have a high water content. Freezing them raw would make them mushy upon thawing.

I'd recommend cooking them then freezing them. There may still be a bit of a texture issue but it won't be as pronounced.

Thanks for tip Andy, and that site is great, sparrowgrass! It's definitely going in my bookmarks.

One thing to bare in mind, is that the texture of the squash or any other vegetable will change when you freeze it. It will still taste just as good in things like soup and stews though.

Mel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom