Freezing stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GotGarlic

Chef Extraordinaire
Hi, all. It's become popular to freeze stock flat in a freezer bag, to save space. I've done it, but I get aggravated when it's time to thaw it. I often don't remember that I'll need it till, um, I need it :LOL:

So usually, I'll freeze it in quart-size deli containers, then put them upside down in my quart-size measuring cup to thaw in the microwave. As it thaws, the block of stock falls out of the container and it's easy to handle once it's all thawed.

So if it's flat, I put it in an 8x8 glass dish to thaw. But when it's time to use it, it's a pain to pour it out of the square pan.

So my question is, how do you thaw flat-frozen stock?

Attachments

• 1480177678001.jpg
    1480177678001.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 180
It depends. If it's a quart bag and I want it for soup, I just cut the bag off and drop it into a saucier to melt and heat up. For Thanksgiving, I had a gallon bag of turkey stock. I set it in a quarter sheet pan in a warm area then dumped it into a CrockPot to melt and come up to temp. That way it as ready to go for pilaf, gravy, etc.

I freeze by placing a freezer bad into a vessel (tall canister) and then filling the bag, closing the bag and allow it to freeze. I then remove the bag and I have a frozen block of stock with the same dimensions as the vessel.
I understand flat is better for space saving though.

It depends. If it's a quart bag and I want it for soup, I just cut the bag off and drop it into a saucier to melt and heat up. For Thanksgiving, I had a gallon bag of turkey stock. I set it in a quarter sheet pan in a warm area then dumped it into a CrockPot to melt and come up to temp. That way it as ready to go for pilaf, gravy, etc.

Thanks. How long does it take to thaw that way?

Thanks. How long does it take to thaw that way?

A frozen quit of stock in the saucier over med-low heat takes less than a half hour (I'm guessing) to come to a boil. The gallon in the CrockPot took a lot longer, but it's a really old CrockPot.

Hi, all. It's become popular to freeze stock flat in a freezer bag, to save space. I've done it, but I get aggravated when it's time to thaw it. I often don't remember that I'll need it till, um, I need it :LOL:

So usually, I'll freeze it in quart-size deli containers, then put them upside down in my quart-size measuring cup to thaw in the microwave. As it thaws, the block of stock falls out of the container and it's easy to handle once it's all thawed.

So if it's flat, I put it in an 8x8 glass dish to thaw. But when it's time to use it, it's a pain to pour it out of the square pan.

So my question is, how do you thaw flat-frozen stock?

I reduce my stocks to about 25%, then freeze in muffin tins or ice cube trays. It's then a simple matter to thaw any amount and reconstitute.

Last edited:
I reduce my stocks to about 25%, then freeze in muffin tins or ice cube trays. It's ten a simple matter to thaw any amount and reconstitute.

How do you measure how much you've reduced it?

Just had an idea. Could use a ruler to determine how deep the liquid is and reduce it to 1/4 of that. Hmmmm...

How do you measure how much you've reduced it?

Just had an idea. Could use a ruler to determine how deep the liquid is and reduce it to 1/4 of that. Hmmmm...

I just guess. Eyeball is close enough for me.

My stock pot is an old crab pot. Far wider than deep, but will hold 10 chicken carcasses roasted and flattened. I make the stock, strain it, then pour back into the pot and reduce. 8" high would be 2" when reduced.

I don't bother thawing it. Grab a couple blocks, toss it in the pot. Self thawing. Add more if needed.

Also makes wonderful instant soup. 1 soup bowl worth of hot tap water. 3 or 4 stock ice cubes. Bring to simmer. Add precooked chicken, beef, or onions, mushrooms, or all of the above. Heat and serve.

I just guess. Eyeball is close enough for me.

My stock pot is an old crab pot. Far wider than deep, but will hold 10 chicken carcasses roasted and flattened. I make the stock, strain it, then pour back into the pot and reduce. 8" high would be 2" when reduced.

I don't bother thawing it. Grab a couple blocks, toss it in the pot. Self thawing. Add more if needed.

Also makes wonderful instant soup. 1 soup bowl worth of hot tap water. 3 or 4 stock ice cubes. Bring to simmer. Add precooked chicken, beef, or onions, mushrooms, or all of the above. Heat and serve.

BTW, I should have added, store in baggies. Stock will freeze dry if left open in the tray. I know this from experience.

I made some wonderful chicken stock last month from nothing more than wing tips, water and salt. It was nice and gelatinous. I froze in 1/2 pint containers. When solid I popped the frozen block out and put in freezer sandwich bags. They are ready to make one cup of gravy. When needed I will pop block into measuring cup to thaw.

Back
Top Bottom