French fries!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Basherrr

Assistant Cook
Hahaha. Humor to me. Watch Pee-Wee's Big Adventure. Anyway, I will be caveating my post for about the next 2 years as "I am relatively new to cheffery." I am making french fries in my sweet new electronic deep fryer. I want them to stop tasting like frozen steak fries and more like (*sighs and admits*) MacDonalds. Does anyone have good suggestions for french fries to make them most delicious? Do they need to be frozen before frying? Or do I need that dextrose and "beef flavor" MacDonalds adds? Any help would, as always, be greatly appreciated.

These are from "fresh" russet potatos from the Walmart. I think I'm looking more for a resemblance in texture, rather than taste.

Double fry them. Fry them till they are half ready. Take them out, let them cool. Then fry till they are done. Also make sure your temps are good. 350-375.

If you want the texture - double frying will definately allow you to get some crispy fries. On the first fry (the par-fry stage) use a temp of 325ºF and fry for 3-4 minutes (just till soft but not browned) then remove, drain on brown paper bags or paper towels, and allow to cool. At this point you can pat dry with paper towels, toss into a freezer zip bag and toss in the freezer for future use if you wish.

For the second frying - use a temp of 375ºF. If room temp - about 3-4 minutes (until golden brown) or about 7 minutes or so if starting from frozen.

For flavor - the fry oil does make the difference. Part of what made the McDonald's frys taste so good (back when they had Trans-Fat) was that the fry oil contained beef fat (not dextrose and beef flavoring).

Is "par-fry" something I should research? Have not heard this term yet. Thanks FtW :) I was in FtW for the Phillies beating the Rangers earlier this month, btw. It was AWESOME. Go Phils!

Also, make sure they are skinny enough!!! To me that is the key.

Now, when you decide you want to "up them a notch" drizzle some white truffle oil on them and grate a bit of fresh Parmesan cheese...McDonald who? :LOL:

White truffle oil? That sounds made up! You guys are opening this hobby of mine wide open. Seriously, thank you all :D

White truffle oil? That sounds made up! You guys are opening this hobby of mine wide open. Seriously, thank you all :D

Sounds made up? I'm not sure what you mean.

Also...another notch...heat some butter on the stove with a bit of fresh chopped rosemary and garlic in it - drizzle that over those fries - heaven!!!

Also, the best time to salt your fries is right when they come out of the fryer. The best way to "drain" your fries is on a cookie cooling rack. It keeps the air circulating around them to stay crispy i.e., they don't get soggy.

I like to soak the spuds in ice water for 30 min. to an hour...It's strictly an option though.. If you like the flavor of bacon...add a little bacon fat to the oil...or just fry a piece of bacon along with them...Lastly save some beef fat, and add that to the fry pot as well.

These have nothing to do with McDonalds but they are a fav in my house!

BallPark Fries

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]12 ounces Ore-Ida frozen Golden Fries or Country Style Fries
1/2 T. Butter
1/2 T. olive oil
2 t. minced fresh garlic
2 T. fresh parsley-finely chopped
2 T. shredded parmesan cheese
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]Bake or deep fry french fries according to directions on package. Melt butter, olive oil, & garlic in small saucepan on low for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly to mellow garlic a bit. Place hot, crispy fries in medium sized bowl, drizzle with hot butter mixture and add fresh parsley & cheese over the top. Toss to blend.[/FONT]

dee - if you like rosemary try that one time in place of the parsley...or even in addition to...heavenly! I've got your recipe saved!!!!!

I actually just bought a rosemary plant at a local farmers market, I will try that! Thanks :) Rosemary and basil are staples in my home! My DF would put rosmary on anything at least once to try it! ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom