French fries not so crisp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pengyou

Senior Cook
I have always enjoyed being able to make nice crisp french french fries but am having some problems doing so now. I buy the fries in an institutional pack to get a heft discount. I am cooking in soy oil and I often reuse the oil - pour it out, strain it, store it and use it again.

These are not different from I have done in the past. What could be going wrong?

Does anyone make french fries from scratch - i.e. peel the potato, cut the potato, etc?

I blanch mine first, pat them VERY dry, and when I'm ready to eat, deep fry in 375 degree safflower oil. They always come out extra crispy.

Being absolutely dry is most important!

I make mine from scratch only. If I am going for crispy I soak the fries in cold water (some white vinegar is a nice addition) to remove some of the starch. Pat dry and fry for a minute or two, then remove from the oil and let rest for several minutes, then fry again until done.

i slice potato into usually battonet (thin) fries, often using waxy potato, blanch in canola oil/drain, then cook till done to my preference & season immediately. let the oil get sufficiently warm for cookinng the fries, or they'll get soggy.
i usually use my calphalon or on occasion, cast-iron.

Last edited:
I have always enjoyed being able to make nice crisp french french fries but am having some problems doing so now. I buy the fries in an institutional pack to get a heft discount. I am cooking in soy oil and I often reuse the oil - pour it out, strain it, store it and use it again.

These are not different from I have done in the past. What could be going wrong?

Does anyone make french fries from scratch - i.e. peel the potato, cut the potato, etc?

That company may have changed how they make their fries. That requires you to compensate. That's the only thing I can think of, other than your equipment not cooking the same as it once did.

I make mine from scratch only. If I am going for crispy I soak the fries in cold water (some white vinegar is a nice addition) to remove some of the starch. Pat dry and fry for a minute or two, then remove from the oil and let rest for several minutes, then fry again until done.

I totally back Pacanis!

Blanch the cut potatoes, pat dry, fry in oil take out, pat dry. Put in fridge ( uncovered) for 10-15 mins take out and fry in oil, done!
the fridge helps to really dry them out well giving you very crunch fries.

SadieBaby. said:
Blanch the cut potatoes, pat dry, fry in oil take out, pat dry. Put in fridge ( uncovered) for 10-15 mins take out and fry in oil, done!
the fridge helps to really dry them out well giving you very crunch fries.

Crunchy!!! :)

One other thing to consider. The fries you have are most likely frozen. They will cause the temp of the oil to drop. You will likely have to start with hotter oil to achieve the results you desire. BTW, I am firmly in the camp of those who make fries from scratch. I have nothing against using frozen fries. I just prefer making mine from scratch. Good luck!!!

Another method from America's Test Kitchen puts Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into 1/4" sticks, into room temp peanut oil, then bringing to a rolling boil and frying. I haven't tried it yet -- fries are on my "I used to eat them but am trying to quit" list. According to their scientist on staff, less moisture is lost with this method and fries are soft inside and nice and crisp outside. Anyone feeling adventurous?

Another method from America's Test Kitchen puts Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into 1/4" sticks, into room temp peanut oil, then bringing to a rolling boil and frying. I haven't tried it yet -- fries are on my "I used to eat them but am trying to quit" list. According to their scientist on staff, less moisture is lost with this method and fries are soft inside and nice and crisp outside. Anyone feeling adventurous?

I bit. And it works.
Things started bubbling at 240F and I pulled them out at 340, just starting to turn light brown on some of them. They were good. I used my usual Idahos, rather than Yukon golds. I'll be trying this again, but with my normal cut instead of just 1/4". I like them just a bit thicker, more around 3/8".

I use the rinse then twice fry method unless the fries are to go with Stroganof .
Then I use the classic russian way, put your pots in a net and hang them in a dark warm cupboard till they look like they should be thrown out(the starch converts to sugars)peel and make big chunky fries then deep fry. The small amount of surface sugar will make your fry very crisp and the inside light and fluffy, this compliments the soft creamy strog. Do not eat pasta or rice with strog its heresy .

Stroganoff over potatoes, that makes sense. I always wondered about a Russian sounding name on a dish that used noodles.

Beef Stroganoff is one of the most abused dishes going I think I have posted my Georgian Uncles method which he taught me 45yrs ago. My Uncle was a kid when he got to the UK with his family, they had been tricked as they were told they were going to America and Uncle told me it was about a year before they realised they were in the UK. My Uncle was a very tough man and became an illegal bookmaker:)
Mauries Stroganoff.
Prep.
Slice onions and mushrooms into thin batons, slice fillet steak into thin strips, bring the sour cream up to room temp.
Sweat the onions in a little butter till they are opaque but still have a bit of bite, place on a dish, then clean your frying pan.
Fry the mushrooms in a little butter till all the moisture has evaporated,place on a plate and clean the pan.
Dust the stake with cornflour, fry in a very hot pan using a plain oil for a few seconds, add the onions, mushrooms and lots of black pepper and stir fry for a few more seconds the tip in your thick sour cream, the cornflour will work with the cream to form a loose omelette consistency in a few seconds, season to taste and serve by the side of a mountain of crisp french fries.
The texture combination of the fries and strog enhances takes the dish to the next level.
It is best served with Bison Vodka that has been in the freezer.:cool:

That's a funny story, Bolas, but I'm sure it wasn't to your uncle at the time.

Pac mate it happened a lot, in fact years ago with a cousin we wrote a comedy sketch where the reverse happened. It was about a German Jew who wanted to live in Wales and got very upset when he arrived at Ellis Island.
It was called Guten Morgen Mr Morgan and featured Lepke the Gimp as an evil holiday home owner in a village on Angelsey called Llanfairpwllgwyngyllogerychwyrndrobwllllysiliogogogoch google the village name:)

Pac mate it happened a lot, in fact years ago with a cousin we wrote a comedy sketch where the reverse happened. It was about a German Jew who wanted to live in Wales and got very upset when he arrived at Ellis Island.
It was called Guten Morgen Mr Morgan and featured Lepke the Gimp as an evil holiday home owner in a village on Angelsey called Llanfairpwllgwyngyllogerychwyrndrobwllllysiliogogogoch google the village name:)

You must have spelled it wrong. Google didn't find anything :ohmy:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom