"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-07-2011, 06:43 PM   #1
Senior Cook

French fries not so crisp

I have always enjoyed being able to make nice crisp french french fries but am having some problems doing so now. I buy the fries in an institutional pack to get a heft discount. I am cooking in soy oil and I often reuse the oil - pour it out, strain it, store it and use it again.

These are not different from I have done in the past. What could be going wrong?

Does anyone make french fries from scratch - i.e. peel the potato, cut the potato, etc?

Old 05-07-2011, 07:07 PM   #2
Executive Chef

I blanch mine first, pat them VERY dry, and when I'm ready to eat, deep fry in 375 degree safflower oil. They always come out extra crispy.

Being absolutely dry is most important!

Old 05-07-2011, 07:17 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I make mine from scratch only. If I am going for crispy I soak the fries in cold water (some white vinegar is a nice addition) to remove some of the starch. Pat dry and fry for a minute or two, then remove from the oil and let rest for several minutes, then fry again until done.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:26 PM   #4
Master Chef

i slice potato into usually battonet (thin) fries, often using waxy potato, blanch in canola oil/drain, then cook till done to my preference & season immediately. let the oil get sufficiently warm for cookinng the fries, or they'll get soggy.
i usually use my calphalon or on occasion, cast-iron.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:29 PM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengyou View Post
I have always enjoyed being able to make nice crisp french french fries but am having some problems doing so now. I buy the fries in an institutional pack to get a heft discount. I am cooking in soy oil and I often reuse the oil - pour it out, strain it, store it and use it again.

These are not different from I have done in the past. What could be going wrong?

Does anyone make french fries from scratch - i.e. peel the potato, cut the potato, etc?
That company may have changed how they make their fries. That requires you to compensate. That's the only thing I can think of, other than your equipment not cooking the same as it once did.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:35 PM   #6
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I make mine from scratch only. If I am going for crispy I soak the fries in cold water (some white vinegar is a nice addition) to remove some of the starch. Pat dry and fry for a minute or two, then remove from the oil and let rest for several minutes, then fry again until done.
I totally back Pacanis!
Old 05-17-2011, 03:18 AM   #7
Cook

Blanch the cut potatoes, pat dry, fry in oil take out, pat dry. Put in fridge ( uncovered) for 10-15 mins take out and fry in oil, done!
the fridge helps to really dry them out well giving you very crunch fries.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:21 AM   #8
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieBaby.
Blanch the cut potatoes, pat dry, fry in oil take out, pat dry. Put in fridge ( uncovered) for 10-15 mins take out and fry in oil, done!
the fridge helps to really dry them out well giving you very crunch fries.
Crunchy!!! :)
Old 05-17-2011, 07:03 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

One other thing to consider. The fries you have are most likely frozen. They will cause the temp of the oil to drop. You will likely have to start with hotter oil to achieve the results you desire. BTW, I am firmly in the camp of those who make fries from scratch. I have nothing against using frozen fries. I just prefer making mine from scratch. Good luck!!!
Old 05-17-2011, 07:56 AM   #10
Head Chef

Another method from America's Test Kitchen puts Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into 1/4" sticks, into room temp peanut oil, then bringing to a rolling boil and frying. I haven't tried it yet -- fries are on my "I used to eat them but am trying to quit" list. According to their scientist on staff, less moisture is lost with this method and fries are soft inside and nice and crisp outside. Anyone feeling adventurous?