French Laundry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jennyema

Chef Extraordinaire
Has anyone been?

It's on my bucket list so we're planning to go in October but are confused with the reservation "ticket" system....

I have yet to visit the French Laundry, but I have used that ticketing system twice now.

Basically, you're putting down money in advance for your meal. It's really just a guarantee for the restaurant that people show up when they make a reservation. Think of it like attending the theater or a sporting event. You pay for a ticket, and your seat is ready when you arrive.

As for what each restaurant offers, it varies from place to place. Some offer a prix fixe menu. When you're done with the meal, you get up and go. No one even brings a check to the table. The meal and gratuity are inclusive of the price.

Other places apply the ticket cost as a credit toward your meal. In those situations it's more like a deposit, and there's more flexibility as far as your meal goes.

I wasn't really sure about this idea at first, but I honestly kind of like it. It makes things easy. And it's better than arriving at the restaurant and finding you can't get in because they've overbooked it.

Last edited:
I have yet to visit the French Laundry, but I have used that ticketing system twice now.

Basically, you're putting down money in advance for your meal. It's really just a guarantee for the restaurant that people show up when they make a reservation. Think of it like attending the theater or a sporting event. You pay for a ticket, and your seat is ready when you arrive.

As for what each restaurant offers, it varies from place to place. Some offer a prix fixe menu. When you're done with the meal, you get up and go. No one even brings a check to the table. The meal and gratuity are inclusive of the price.

Other places apply the ticket cost as a credit toward your meal. In those situations it's more like a deposit, and there's more flexibility as far as your meal goes.

I wasn't really sure about this idea at first, but I honestly kind of like it. It makes things easy. And it's better than arriving at the restaurant and finding you can't get in because they've overbooked it.

That is if they haven't overbooked it. Some restaurants, like airlines, overbook in spite of the deposit hoping to get a double hit on the bottom line due to the no shows. I've had that happen and it pisses me off to the point I never go back.

The thing that's most confusing is how far in advance you can make a reservation ...

And the whole secondary market for their tickets!

Back
Top Bottom