"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2017, 03:17 PM   #1
Cook

French silk pie weeping a day later

I made a French silk pie last night—the kind with butter in the filling (but no cream) and raw eggs. Last night, it looked smooth and creamy. Today, however, I noticed that it seems to be weeping some in the refrigerator.

Why would it be weeping a day later? Is this unusual? And what (if anything) can be done about it?

Incidentally, I reduced the sugar in the recipe because I didn't want it to be too sweet. Could that be a factor?

Thanks for any info.

neptune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 03:24 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by neptune View Post
I made a French silk pie last night—the kind with butter in the filling (but no cream) and raw eggs. Last night, it looked smooth and creamy. Today, however, I noticed that it seems to be weeping some in the refrigerator.

Why would it be weeping a day later? Is this unusual? And what (if anything) can be done about it?

Thanks for any info.
It would really help if you posted your recipe and technique. There are many, many recipes out there for FSP for the filling, as well as different crusts and toppings. I've never had that happen even using a meringue crust, with butter and the yolks in the filling.

medtran49 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 03:48 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

If you covered the pie and refrigerated it before it was completely cold, it could weep.
Old 03-05-2017, 03:57 PM   #4
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
It would really help if you posted your recipe and technique. There are many, many recipes out there for FSP for the filling, as well as different crusts and toppings. I've never had that happen even using a meringue crust, with butter and the yolks in the filling.
The filling was from this recipe:

French Silk Pie Recipe | Ree Drummond | Food Network

I substituted 3 Tbsp. cocoa + 1 Tbsp. oil for each oz. of the unsweetened chocolate.
Old 03-05-2017, 03:58 PM   #5
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
If you covered the pie and refrigerated it before it was completely cold, it could weep.
Actually, I forgot to cover it. In fact, it's still uncovered.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:26 PM   #6
Cook

Oh, I thought of one more thing. Since I had never tried this recipe before, I decided to make just half the recipe. In the original recipe, it says to beat 4 eggs total, 5 minutes after adding each one. Instead, I beat 2 eggs, 5 minutes after each. But maybe I should've added 1/2 egg four times instead, beating 5 minutes after each addition. Thus, my total beating time was only 10 minutes instead of 20, so maybe the emulsion was less stable?

Anyway, I decided to re-beat the filling, and now it looks fine. Once it gets cold again in a few hours, I'm just going to freeze it.

Incidentally, a lot of French silk pies call for cream as well. Cook's Country said that they added cream because using all butter results in "too dense" a pie. They also added more chocolate to enhance the flavor. I may try their version (even though it's less authentic) in the future sometime, but without cooking the eggs:

French Silk Pie (Americas Test Kitchen) | Food.com
Old 03-05-2017, 07:26 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Did you use the whipped cream topping? I'd suspect that before snything else if you did. Unless I'm using it for a party where it will all get eaten, I use the canned whole cream spritz topping as it's served.

I make a meringue crust for mine. If you want, I'll look for and post the recipe tomorrow. I've never had any problems with it, even after 3-4 days.
medtran49 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 11:16 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by neptune View Post
Did you say something to hurt it's feelings?
Old 03-05-2017, 11:28 PM   #9
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
Did you use the whipped cream topping?
No. I actually made some stabilized whipped cream separately, but I only added some to each slice right before serving.

Quote:
I make a meringue crust for mine.
That sounds interesting. I never make crusts for pies or quiches anymore. It's so much easier, and I've found I don't even miss them. Lowers the carb count too.

Quote:
If you want, I'll look for and post the recipe tomorrow. I've never had any problems with it, even after 3-4 days.
That would be great, medtran49, if it isn't too much trouble.
Old 03-05-2017, 11:31 PM   #10
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
Did you say something to hurt it's feelings?
Perhaps, but if I posted what I actually said to it here, then you might have to, um, pardon my French.

But hey, if a pie turns out that wimpy anyway, what are we supposed to do—coddle it or something?

Tags
pie