"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-02-2006, 02:21 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath
I think Baking Fool needs to have us all over for Sunday Brunch......

That sounds really similar to my mil's favorite strawberry french toast. (She had it in Tahoe 10 years ago, and still talks about it). I think I'll try your recipe and surprise her. Thank you so much!
lol good to hear ;) & of course where someone can use frozen raspberries, someone else can use strawberries. i wanted to do it with blueberries but didn't have any. :( oh well it was still really good anyway.

Old 03-02-2006, 06:51 PM   #12
Head Chef

Have no idea what Texas Toast is, but love to use either Portugese, sometimes called Hawiian, bread, or its very similar product, Challah.

Cut it thick, just dip it in the egg mix, and fry. It is great.

Old 03-03-2006, 01:00 PM   #13
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Texas toast or garlic toast is a variation on garlic bread made from thick slices of bread that are buttered on both sides and grilled until lighly golden brown. Depending on the recipe, the butter may have seasonings such as garlic. There are various products marketed as 'Texas Toast' in stores around the United States of America that are devoid of garlic, butter, seasoning of any kind, or application of heat to induce a toast status. These products are essentially thick cut bread, often with a longer diagonal cross-section than typical 'Wonder-Bread' type products.
A slice of Texas toast often accompanies homestyle meals. Texas toast style bread, because of its thickness, is often used by restaurants and cafeterias for dipping into egg batter and grilling on a flat top grill to create French toast. The crust is much softer than French bread so it is easier to cut when eating. Its thickness allows it to hold together better than regular bread making a much more attractive presentation when plated.