French Toast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baking fool

Senior Cook
heyyyyyyyy

here's how i just did my french toast. i got the idea from a guy @ work who used to be a chef at a fancy 5-star restaurant.

got an old stale loaf of walnut/apricot bread & sliced a couple slices off & then sliced the slices almost all the way through, so there was kind of a 'hinge', like a burger bun. then i mixed up some maple syrup & creamcheese (don't know the ratio) & spread it inside & for good measure put some frozen raspberries inside also. then the rest was the usual way i'd done french toast: 5 eggs beaten down + ~60ml cream + small capful of vanilla (or couple shakes of cinnamon). then sauteed in butter over med/high heat. DANG that's tasty french toast!!!! :w00t2:

can anyone do french toast better than that? :chef: let's hear it :brows:

In the UK, French toast is always a savoury dish. Beat eggs, soak bread, fry in shallow oil.... AKA 'Eggy Bread'.

I have one ... Peanut Butter Crunch French Toast

16 slices of Texas toast
4 whole eggs, lightly beaten
½ c. heavy whipping cream
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. nutmeg
1 c Peanut Butter
1 t. butter
2 c. crushed corn flakes
1 pint raspberries
1 pint blueberries
1 pint strawberries
1 c. granulated sugar

Whip eggs with heavy cream with spices in mixing bowl. Take peanut butter and spread desired amount between two slices of Texas toast. Place Texas toast in egg mixture and soak for a minute or so then place in crushed corn flakes.

In a non-stick pan or griddle, melt a teaspoon of butter and place Texas toast in. Cook so that each side is a nice golden brown.

In a separate saucepan, take half of the fruit and the granulated sugar and simmer for 15 minutes on medium heat. Place through a strainer and add the rest of the fruit in the syrup mixture. Reserve a few of each of the berries to decorate the plate with.

Put a piece of the toast in the middle of the plate, pour the berry syrup over the top of the toast. Top with a strawberry and sprinkle the reserved blueberries and raspberries over the top.

Last edited:
These both sound good!
I'd have to go for the peanut butter one first though.
I love peanut butter.

Here ya go. This recipe will kick French Toast's butt any day of the week, and twice on Sunday!

Monte Cristo
Two slices Texas Toast® Bread
2 ounces deli ham, sliced
2 ounces deli turkey breast, sliced
2 ounces Swiss Cheese, sliced

1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups milk
2 eggs
1 Tbs sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl. Beat eggs and milk; stir into flour mixture until smooth. Let stand for 15 minutes.

Prepare a ham, turkey, and Swiss cheese sandwich with the Texas Toast® bread. Secure sandwich with tooth picks or wooden skewers, then cut sandwich diagonally.

Dip each sandwich half in batter to coat well. Deep fry each half in 375F oil for approximately 3 minutes, until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Remove tooth picks or wooden skewers. Dust with powdered sugar. Serve with a generous amount of strawberry jam and strawberry mimosas if you imbibe, or Strawberry Juliuses if you don’t.

I think Baking Fool needs to have us all over for Sunday Brunch......

That sounds really similar to my mil's favorite strawberry french toast. (She had it in Tahoe 10 years ago, and still talks about it). I think I'll try your recipe and surprise her. Thank you so much!

I always put vanilla and a dash of nutmeg in the egg mixture. I like to use "Texas Toast" from the day old bread store. It's regular white bread, sliced about 1" thick. We can't get some of those fancier breads here.
I'm not really into assorted varieties...I'm too much of a maple syrup and smokey links fan.

But, when I was a child, and we came up, Grandpa Snarr used to take us to brunch at the Milk Pail, somewhere north of Chicago (I think). In the 20's, it was a private club for the very rich. It covered quite a few acres, and they grew a lot of their own stuff. Back then (50's), that meant cows, chickens, vegetables and fruit.
I checked it out on the web, and they are still there today...just search Milkpail. I remember eating waffles with their own homemade strawberry jam, and a big scoop of some wonderful looking butter/cream cheesy tasting stuff. They served a bowl of ther own homemade cottage cheese with every meal. I didn't appreciate it back then, but wish I could taste it again.

jkath said:
I think Baking Fool needs to have us all over for Sunday Brunch......

That sounds really similar to my mil's favorite strawberry french toast. (She had it in Tahoe 10 years ago, and still talks about it). I think I'll try your recipe and surprise her. Thank you so much!

lol good to hear ;) & of course where someone can use frozen raspberries, someone else can use strawberries. i wanted to do it with blueberries but didn't have any. :( oh well it was still really good anyway.

Have no idea what Texas Toast is, but love to use either Portugese, sometimes called Hawiian, bread, or its very similar product, Challah.

Cut it thick, just dip it in the egg mix, and fry. It is great.

Texas toast or garlic toast is a variation on garlic bread made from thick slices of bread that are buttered on both sides and grilled until lighly golden brown. Depending on the recipe, the butter may have seasonings such as garlic. There are various products marketed as 'Texas Toast' in stores around the United States of America that are devoid of garlic, butter, seasoning of any kind, or application of heat to induce a toast status. These products are essentially thick cut bread, often with a longer diagonal cross-section than typical 'Wonder-Bread' type products.
A slice of Texas toast often accompanies homestyle meals. Texas toast style bread, because of its thickness, is often used by restaurants and cafeterias for dipping into egg batter and grilling on a flat top grill to create French toast. The crust is much softer than French bread so it is easier to cut when eating. Its thickness allows it to hold together better than regular bread making a much more attractive presentation when plated.

Back
Top Bottom