French translation help needed please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bethzaring

Master Chef
Yesterday I set a half gallon of yogurt that did not set up to my satisfaction. So I just removed from my freezer my last packet of dry yogurt starter culture and the instructions are in French, apparently I did not keep the other half of the packet that was in English:wacko: .

What is says is;

Chauffer un litre (1 pinte) de lait a 82 * C (180 * F) ou jusqu' a ebullition

Now since the temerature in parenthesis is English, I would think the 1 pinte would also be English, but it is not. My question is how much milk to use, one quart or one pint??

Many thanks for any translation...

To heat one liter (1 pint) of milk has 82 * C (180 * F) or until
A ebullition :
Additional Translations:
ébullition nf simmer (temperature)

Compound Forms:
en ébullition high-boiling

So you either simmer it or have a rolling boil.:rolleyes: :LOL:

Last edited:
Thanks Jan,

I'm thinking I have figured out the seeming contradiction on the litre/pinte. The packet came in two 5g segments, and the whole 10g should have been used for a litre/quart of milk. So I am leaning toward using one pint since all I have left is 5g starter. That would explain why not all the parenthesis are in English.

I am 99% sure ebulition is "boiling". It is almost identical to Italian "ebolizione".

bethzaring said:
Yesterday I set a half gallon of yogurt that did not set up to my satisfaction. So I just removed from my freezer my last packet of dry yogurt starter culture and the instructions are in French, apparently I did not keep the other half of the packet that was in English:wacko: .

What is says is;

Chauffer un litre (1 pinte) de lait a 82 * C (180 * F) ou jusqu' a ebullition

Now since the temerature in parenthesis is English, I would think the 1 pinte would also be English, but it is not. My question is how much milk to use, one quart or one pint??

Many thanks for any translation...

It actually means heat a liter of milk until it starts to boil.sounds great.Enjoy.

Don't forget the that 'pint' may be a UK 'Imperial' pint, which I believe is differnt to US pint. It's probably best to use litre/ml measurements.

Y'all beat me to the punch! :LOL:

but a litre is a bit more than a quart, so I'm not sure what the referral to "pinte" is all about. I remember a family vacation in Canada when my Mom poured what she was thinking was a quart of milk into our thermos, and the d*%n thing overflowed because there was more milk in the litre bottle than our quart thermos would hold. Good -- practical -- arithmetic lesson for a couple of kids! :)

Thanks for all the advice. As it turns out, I used one pint of milk, which I now believe to be half the amount of milk needed for the culturing. But it turned out okay. It has been my experience that even though the directions call for an incubation time of 4 to 4 1/2 hours with the dry culture powder, it takes me at least 8 hours of culturing time to get a firm product. I checked it every few hours past the first four hours setting, and it took 8 hours to properly culture, even using half the amount of milk called for.

cliveb said:
Time for us all to learn another language!
Anyone fancy a shot at Hindi??

How about words:

Meetha - Sweet
Khatta - Sour
Teekha - Spicy
Taaza - Fresh
Garam - Hot
Thanda - Cold
Khaana - Food

Back
Top Bottom