Fresh Jalapeno. Roasting Them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mylegsbig

Head Chef
Hello there. a fav mexican restaurant of mine always brings out fresh/roasted whole jalepenos on top of the sizzling fajitas. they are hot, and kind of blackened, and slit down the middle, with seeds still in them

the flavor is extraordinary

How can i replicate this at home?

Should i throw them in a wok @ high heat and just sear it for awhile?

Or should i put it under the broiler?

Bake them?

As i said they are kind of blackened.... im going to be slicing them up and serving them with tacos

I use the broiler to roast my peppers. Just keep an eye on them and turn them over to get all sides done. If you have a gas stove, you can hold them right over the flame and roast them that way. You can also do them in a cast iron pan or griddle over high heat on your stove top. I just found I had better luck using the broiler.

I usually peel the charred outer layer of skin off of the peppers before I use them. Not all of it comes off, but most does. Some say to let them sit in a sealed paper bag until they're cool to the touch to help peel the skin off but I just let them sit until I'm ready for them.

:heart:
Z

I've roasted peppers over charcoal at a medium heat with the same results that Zereh experienced in her kitchen. I tried a paper lunchbag to help steam the skin off with the latent heat but I found no difference. Either way, the peppers taste pretty good!

I usually just rub them with a little oil and roast at 400 degrees. If you don't have a paper bag you can put them in a bowl and loosely cover it with plastic wrap. This helps the skins to come off easier.

DampCharcoal said:
Sounds good, iron. How long do you roast? 5-10 minutes?

Hard to say exactly depending on the oven. I would say on average 20-25 minutes plus another 10 minutes cooling time. It takes longer than broiling or charring in a skillet, but I prefer the flavor and texture that the pepper gets from roasting. To me, broiling or searing does more to get the skin to come off easier than it does to develop the flavor. It still does, but I don't think it's as intense as when you roast it.

I would use a griddle to get the charred effect, if you put the chillies along the slats instead of against you wont get horrible lines throughout.

Back
Top Bottom