Fresh picnic ham

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tdgreene1984

Assistant Cook
I need help! My husband shot 2 wild hogs and I plan on cooking a picnic ham today and I need to know if there is anything that I need to do to this ham. Its not a very big one maybe a bit bigger than a boston butt. It hasn't been smoked or anything and I've never cooked a wild picnic before. Do I need to soak it in anything or can I just throw it in the oven and cook it?

You can rub it with a seasoning blend and roast it at a low temperature for 4-5 hours until it's fork tender.

Wild Pigs

TD

What you have is a piece of fresh pork, just like you get at the supermarket. It is not a ham. You can brine it or rub it, just treat it like a pork shoulder or Boston Butt

Bobbleheadbob

TD

What you have is a piece of fresh pork, just like you get at the supermarket. It is not a ham. You can brine it or rub it, just treat it like a pork shoulder or Boston Butt

Bobbleheadbob

Bob, the hind leg of a hog is referred to as a ham, even if it has not been cured/smoked to make it a "ham". The difference is in the description - fresh ham.

I would cook it low and slow--the way I do pork shoulder from the grocery store.

I make a rub with a cup of brown sugar and a couple of tablespoon of chili powder. Put your roast on a rack in a baking pan with a rim--lots of fat cooks out of grocery store roasts, maybe less from a wild one.
Preheat the oven up to 400, put the roast in and immediately turn the oven down to 225. Cook at least 12 hours--I put mine in before I go to bed, and it is done by lunch time the next day. Fall apart tender.

Back
Top Bottom