Fried Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CarolPa

Executive Chef
I am planning on making fried cod today. I bought some Golden Dipt Beer Batter Mix for seafood. It says to mix 1 C of mix with 2/3 C of beer or water. Dip the fish in the batter then add to the hot oil. Some other recipes I have seen online say to dredge the fish in flour before dipping it in the batter. What should I do?

in order for "a batter" to "stick" well to fish bits, the fish bits need to be "dry"

if the fish surface is "wet" the batter just slides off.

you can pat the fish dry immediately prior to going into the batter -

dredging in flour in the classic approach, and likely more effective.

Try using some of the dry GD as your dredge and then into the batter. IMHO, it tastes better than just plain flour as the dredge. We really love using GD as the dredge, then egg wash and then crushed Ritz crackers or seasoned panko as the final coating.

3/4 cup Flour.
1/4 cup Corn Starch or Arrow Root.
3/4 cup beer.
1 Tbls oil.
Pinch of salt.

Combine well with a whisk. Let sit for 30 minutes in fridge.

Dry seafood well before dipping in batter. Deep fry until seafood floats to the top and is golden brown.
If you have no beer, you can use water. Just add 1 Tsp of baking powder to the batter.

I didn't deep fry it, so no floating to the top. I pan fried it using and electric skillet so I would have better heat control. I think I needed to cook it a little longer. One of the thicket pieces wasn't quite done enough in the middle.

I start laying them in the biggest piece first. That way it hits the oil before any reduction in temperature. Sometimes I will even start taking out the smaller pieces if the big one's color does not look right. It's just one of those things that's learned by repetition.

I didn't deep fry it, so no floating to the top. I pan fried it using and electric skillet so I would have better heat control. I think I needed to cook it a little longer. One of the thicket pieces wasn't quite done enough in the middle.

Carol. To use a batter, one must deep fry. To pan fry, one must use a dry breading mix.

Carol. To use a batter, one must deep fry. To pan fry, one must use a dry breading mix.

The other pieces of fish turned out great pan frying. The fish was good, the batter was good. It was just the one thicker piece that did not cook all the way through.

Back
Top Bottom