"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-04-2012, 05:42 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I have a colleague recently diagnosed with a nonmalignant brain tumor. She will have surgery and will be out of commission for 6 weeks.

My question: what kind of food to bring over? I have some great soups in the freezer, and plan to bring those. I also will cook up a spiral cut ham closer to when she comes home, and bring some. What else would be easy to bring, given her cooking-challenged hub?

Old 02-04-2012, 07:15 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Location: Central Kentucky---Where The Bluegrass Meets The Mountains
Her diet is likely to be controlled by the medicos. So keep that in mind, in terms of feeding her.

For her family, stews are easy to make, and all they need do is reheat 'em. Pot roasts, ditto. Pot pies are almost always appropriate in such situations.

If you're ambitious, maybe roast a turkey. That will provide several meals. And even the most cooking-challenged spouse can make sandwiches.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:22 PM   #3
Master Chef

I would shoot for whatever they consider to be comfort food.

The ham sounds like a great idea, it can go for breakfast lunch or dinner!

Maybe a pan of lasagna and a salad.

Chocolate chip cookies or oatmeal cookies would help me to recover from an operation.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:24 PM   #4
Master Chef

I think a casserole is always appreciated, Dawg. I made and posted that "Italian Flag Casserole" the other day, it would feed about 6 or more. You could take out two portions for you and hubby. It's really one of the best casseroles I've made in a very long time.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:30 PM   #5
Cupcake

Two years ago, one of our co-workers had a stroke. Her diet was seriously curbed by the medical team. You may inquire what she will be allowed after surgery. We did this and our staff organized meals for her over the course of a month. It was easy to plan and prepare, and a lot of fun for all of us. One person hates to cook, so she wanted to be the designated delivery person.

In hind-sight, most people made something with chicken. While she was so grateful, I do not think she has eaten chicken since. She could not have fats or salt. Grilled foods and sweet foods (like grilled sweet potatoes with a hint of cinnamon and honey) were really enjoyed.

We always made enough to ensure she had something to eat for lunch the next day.

One person is a breakfast wizard. She made an oatmeal casserole that we still demand she makes from time to time.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:42 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I would shoot for whatever they consider to be comfort food.

The ham sounds like a great idea, it can go for breakfast lunch or dinner!

Maybe a pan of lasagna and a salad.

Chocolate chip cookies or oatmeal cookies would help me to recover from an operation.
If she is allowed to have lasagna, that is usually a big hit.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:03 PM   #7
Head Chef

Because it's not a metabolic or GI problem, it's likely that by the time of release from the hospital, she will be cleared for a normal diet. In general, post immediately post-surgical folks appreciate softer food for the first couple of days. Constipation can be a problem following the surgical experience and a couple of days on liquid and soft diets, so it's worth thinking about fiber. But otherwise, I'd just ask her what she'd like.

When I was surprised by what was supposed to be a one-day gall bladder operation that turned into four days, I got real tired of Jello. Finally, my surgeon agreed that it was time to go back to a more regular diet. Unfortunately, he forgot to tell nursing, and the same liquid diet turned up that night. I called in outside help. The next day when he came by, he stared for a second at the Taco Bell bag, but I guess he remembered he'd forgotten and didn't say anything.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:46 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Thanks for the great ideas, guys! I think I'll also make some rice pudding. We're talking about a sign-up sheet at work, and I work with some really good cooks.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:46 PM   #9
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I have a colleague recently diagnosed with a nonmalignant brain tumor. She will have surgery and will be out of commission for 6 weeks.

My question: what kind of food to bring over? I have some great soups in the freezer, and plan to bring those. I also will cook up a spiral cut ham closer to when she comes home, and bring some. What else would be easy to bring, given her cooking-challenged hub?
Dawg,

I wish I had had you around when I got sick. It's going to be a stressful time for everyone until she's fully recovered. It's very thoughtful of you to look out for not only for her but her hubby.

Does she have kids still at home? I can't offer up much for ideas besides what's always been mentioned.

He's going to be busy, tired looking after her, most likely not sleeping much. Paper plates, disposable heat and eat dishes. would be a huge help.Less work the better.

I almost went out of my mind from the boredom. Do you have a few DVD's you can loan her?

Munky.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:03 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

More great ideas, Munky! Thanks! The disposables make sense. It's just the two of them. My DVD collection is severely lacking, however!