Frito Pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raine

Executive Chef
Frito Pie
  • 1 pound Velveeta cheese, cut in cubes
  • 1 can (10 oz.) Rotel diced tomatoes with green chiles
  • 1 package (10 oz.) regular size Fritos
  • 2 cans (1 pound, 8 oz. each) chili without beans or about 5 cups homemade chili
  • 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Spray a medium-size baking dish with non-stick spray. Combine the cheese and tomatoes in a saucepan (or see note below to use the microwave) and heat slowly until the cheese melts. Heat the chili in another saucepan.

Place half the Fritos in the baking dish. Spoon half the chili over the Fritos. Cover with a layer of cheese sauce. (There will be cheese sauce left over to use as a dip.) Scatter the remaining Fritos over the cheese. Cover with the rest of the chili and sprinkle with the shredded cheddar cheese. Bake uncovered about 30 minutes, until hot and bubbly.

Yields four servings. Note: To microwave the cheese sauce, place the cubed cheese in a glass bowl. Pour the Rotel over the cheese. Cover with plastic wrap, leaving a small opening on one side as a vent. Microwave 3 minutes, stirring the mixture after each minute. Do not over-cook or allow the cheese to boil.

Concession Stand Frito Pie

Back in the 60's long before Nachos took over - we had Frito Pies at football/baseball games and every drive-in in town. This isn't an "exact" recipe - it's just how it was done.

Every concession stand sold hot-dogs, and chips, so they had these on hand ...

1) A pot of chili hot dog sauce (heated in a double boiler) and usually thinned with some water (up to about 25% depending on brand and how long it had been sitting there)
2) Diced onion
3) Grated cheddar cheese
4) Individual (lunch box sized) packages of regular slze Frito corn chips

Assembly ....

1) Slice the bag down the side - and open like an envelope
2) Ladel in some chili - just enough to moisten the chips
3) Add some onions
3) Top with some grated cheese

Serve with a paper napkin and a plastic spoon ....

Charge $0.50 ......

Well - you're on the DC website .... so don't forget to make it "gourmet"! A dollop of sour cream and some chives or scallions to top it all off! :rolleyes:

Excuse the 'foreigner' question.... but what are frito? Some sort of snack product?

Yes, they are corn chips.

fritos-original.gif

Frito Pies! Don't they just bring back so many memories? We served them at a party last summer and one family had never heard of them - it was the greatest fun seeing the looks on their faces - six individual "ah-ha" moments - very cool.

Thanks, Raine.

We don't have them here (or I don't think we DO.... but then again, I don't spend much time in the 'snacks' aisles of our supermarket.

Thanks again.

I rarely ate Fritos when living in The States. Somehow I missed them, lots. My sister is a stewardess for United Airlines. On a flight she met the big Frito's boss. She mentioned me to him.

He sent me a gigantic box of fritos!!! Sent all the way here, in the Netherlands! Talk about a nice man.

Every now and then I can find a frito's clone. My kids like them as well. Frito pie! Yummy.

Pam

What a nice guy, Pam! That must've made you so happy!

I must say, I don't eat them often (as they're highly addictive) but when I do, watch out! They were always my "chip of choice" the whole time I was growing up. I like them so much more than potato chips. And, of course, a taco salad isn't complete without fritos on the top!

forgive my Newness, but still having little idea of what a "Frito" is can you use Natchos instead?
and from what I read in the OP, is it like some sort of lasagne type construction?

I do a single layer sorth with natchos, then chili peppers and loads of cheese and bake it, I gather you do similar but with multi layers and use Chili instead?

if I`ve got it wrong, just say, but the chili/Natcho lasgne idea with the cheese I think I`ll try anyway, sounds like real Comfort Food :)

YT2095 said:
forgive my Newness, but still having little idea of what a "Frito" is can you use Natchos instead?
and from what I read in the OP, is it like some sort of lasagne type construction?
Fritos are a thicker chip made with some secret ingredient that makes them different than regular corn tortilla type chips. I've never done it the OP's way. Too expensive for my budget. Velveeta is completely cost prohibitive for just one dish.

We always did what Michael grew up on but we called them Chili Billies and they sold them at the softball field. They still sell them at the baseball field my nephews play at in CA. I take the fritos, top with chilli, top with cheese, add onions and I do it in each individual bowl.

I make frito upside down pies. I like my fritos crunchy! I make some red chile (either from powder or pods) with ground beef and beans. Top that with some sour cream, cheese, lettuce, tomato, fritos on top and more cheese. Like sephora, individual bowls. The traditional way is slitting open a frito's bag and pouring the chili and cheese on top.

Some frito pie history~
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frito_piehttp://www.answers.com/topic/frito-pie
Santa Fe, NM- This is where I grew up!

Seems we call them "walking tacos" at our baseball/football concession stands. Slightly crush the fritos in the bag before opening, add taco meat, shredded cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion. and serve the bag with a fork and a napkin of course. Yum!

The OP's recipe sounds good too. I never really thought of turning the walking taco we love into a casserole type dish. Hmmmm maybe that will be our monday night football dinner :-p

Sher

sherin65 said:
Seems we call them "walking tacos" at our baseball/football concession stands. Slightly crush the fritos in the bag before opening, add taco meat, shredded cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion. and serve the bag with a fork and a napkin of course. Yum!

The OP's recipe sounds good too. I never really thought of turning the walking taco we love into a casserole type dish. Hmmmm maybe that will be our monday night football dinner :-p

Sher
The Fritos site does include the walking Frito Pie which is the whole "in the bag thing" ~ they recommend it as Hormel Chili, cheese, and Fritos.

Back
Top Bottom