- 1 pound Velveeta cheese, cut in cubes
- 1 can (10 oz.) Rotel diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 package (10 oz.) regular size Fritos
- 2 cans (1 pound, 8 oz. each) chili without beans or about 5 cups homemade chili
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Spray a medium-size baking dish with non-stick spray. Combine the cheese and tomatoes in a saucepan (or see note below to use the microwave) and heat slowly until the cheese melts. Heat the chili in another saucepan.
Place half the Fritos in the baking dish. Spoon half the chili over the Fritos. Cover with a layer of cheese sauce. (There will be cheese sauce left over to use as a dip.) Scatter the remaining Fritos over the cheese. Cover with the rest of the chili and sprinkle with the shredded cheddar cheese. Bake uncovered about 30 minutes, until hot and bubbly.
Yields four servings. Note: To microwave the cheese sauce, place the cubed cheese in a glass bowl. Pour the Rotel over the cheese. Cover with plastic wrap, leaving a small opening on one side as a vent. Microwave 3 minutes, stirring the mixture after each minute. Do not over-cook or allow the cheese to boil.