"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-08-2010, 07:03 PM   #11
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 415
Frog's legs are rich in protein and are best cooked simply and briefly. Dust in seasoned flour before sautéing in butter. I suggest spraying the pan with a puff of olive oil, followed by a knob of butter. The oil helps prevent sticking.
__________________

__________________
Linux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:50 PM   #12
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linux View Post
Frog's legs are rich in protein and are best cooked simply and briefly. Dust in seasoned flour before sautéing in butter. I suggest spraying the pan with a puff of olive oil, followed by a knob of butter. The oil helps prevent sticking.
Your description of how to cook them sounds lovely Linux, a lot like Nigella Lawson. Just curious, how do you handle the "twitching" ?
__________________

__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:13 AM   #13
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Your description of how to cook them sounds lovely Linux, a lot like Nigella Lawson. Just curious, how do you handle the "twitching" ?
I said "sticking", sweetie, not "Twitching".

Thanks for the compliment about my sounding like Nigella Lawson, but her cooking doesn't, IMO, have soul.
__________________
Linux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:28 PM   #14
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linux View Post
I said "sticking", sweetie, not "Twitching".

Thanks for the compliment about my sounding like Nigella Lawson, but her cooking doesn't, IMO, have soul.
No, I'm not talking about "sticking", that I can handle. You didn't read what Goodweed had to say?

Quote:
Don't be alarmed if they twitch. The whole muscle is intact as a complete leg. Again, cook until just done. Do not overcook.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:22 PM   #15
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
No, I'm not talking about "sticking", that I can handle. You didn't read what Goodweed had to say?



Yes, I did read, but frog's legs don't always twitch, and I've cooked scores of them.

In my trade you get used to handling a whole load of offal, even chicken livers I used to feel ick about, but when cooking in Reims where the French eat anything, after a while twitchables become passé.
__________________
Linux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:44 PM   #16
Head Chef
 
sparrowgrass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Highest point in Missouri
Posts: 1,794
They only twitch if they are extraordinarily fresh--if you catch them yourself, clean and cook them quickly, they may twitch. If they have been refrigerated or frozen, they are quite thoroughly dead and will not jump out of the pan.

I have been quite disappointed with the ones on buffets-they taste muddy to me. I think most of those are imported from Asia.
__________________
I just haven't been the same
since that house fell on my sister.
sparrowgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 02:13 PM   #17
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,297
To answer the original question...NO!

~~~running and shrieking~~~
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 04:11 PM   #18
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
To answer the original question...NO!

~~~running and shrieking~~~
A girl after my own heart Fiona. Come sit in this tree branch with me.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:15 PM   #19
Flour Child
 
mollyanne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North Carolina, USA
Posts: 1,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
They only twitch if they are extraordinarily fresh--if you catch them yourself, clean and cook them quickly, they may twitch. If they have been refrigerated or frozen, they are quite thoroughly dead and will not jump out of the pan.

I have been quite disappointed with the ones on buffets-they taste muddy to me. I think most of those are imported from Asia.
...froglegs twitch when cooked fresh?
...they jump out of the pan if not refrigerated first?
...the asian ones taste muddy on buffets?

I always thought ANYthing tastes good when fried
and cooked in garlic&butter but......no thank you
__________________


. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:24 PM   #20
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
A girl after my own heart Fiona. Come sit in this tree branch with me.
It's nice up here! Thanks for the seat. Those folks are CA-Razee!!

~~swinging legs~~
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.