"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-24-2006, 11:52 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

ok, this is a reverse answer, but i cannot stand any canned beef stock, broth, or gravy. chicken is ok, but for some reason beef products that are canned taste like plastic and preservatives to me.

auntdot, you need to come home to joisey and i'll get you some of the best red cabbage slaw/salad you've ever had (i'm assuming you meant shredded and pickled red cabbage). it's a german/eastern european thing. as italians get aggida over jarred sauces, poles/slovaks will get off their dupas to make a good pickled red cabbage. the debate remains however; serve it cold or hot.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 01:42 AM   #12
Hospitality Queen

I'm so ashamed! I'm half pole and I've never had pickled red cabbage!

Old 01-25-2006, 01:45 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

so long as your name isn't walter, jkath.

then you'd be the pole, valter. (poles pronounce w's as v's)

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 01:48 AM   #14
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Erik
*insert rimshot*!!!!
Old 01-25-2006, 04:47 AM   #15
Sous Chef

Well, we're pretty much a "whole foods" family, so I basically make everything from scratch. Dd (4 yo) is very sensitive to additives in foods, so I keep a close eye on labels. My basic philosophy is to make things from scratch. Those items that are preservative, dye, additive free that are as good as or better than homemade (pumpkin pie filling in the US, for example), I'll use. In German grocery stores, there is an whole aisle (think smaller aisle than in the US, not one of those mile-long aisles in Kroger or Winn-Dixie) devoted to dried sauce mixes in an envelope. Ick! Can you say MSG? I'd rather make mine from scratch, thank you very much!!

ETA: Oh, now I think I've forgotten... is there a difference in the pumkin pie FILLING and actual PUREED PUMPKIN in a tin? Does that make a difference?
Old 01-25-2006, 06:04 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
I prefer making my own of most stuff, including pumpkin pie filling. Two things that come to my mind right now that I would just buy rather than going through the hassle of making are puff pastry sheets and cream puff shells...
Old 01-25-2006, 11:48 AM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by subfuscpersona
I notice a few posters to this thread mention pie crusts...

Pastry dough is easily made in quantity and can be frozen for future use. If you settle on a good, all-purpose recipe, the pastry dough can be used for sweet or savory pies. (Examples of savory pies could be a quiche or a chicken pot pie).

Frankly, doughs for many purposes freeze well. In addition to pastry dough, I would include in this list yeast-rising bread dough and pasta dough.

I routinely make and freeze pastry, bread and pasta dough in quantity and freeze them for future use.

It seems a shame that the practice and art of making dough is fast becoming a vanishing skill.
Following is a great recipe for piecrust...it's tender, flakey, and beautiful.

Aunt Dorothy's Freezer Pie Crust

3-1/2 cups water
small hand of salt
1/3 cup sugar
5 lb flour
3 lb butter flavor Crisco

Mix flour, sugar and salt. Cut in shortening. Mix in water. The dough will seem kinda gooey, but don't worry. Roll in 24 balls and wrap each with seran wrap. Freeze in large ziplock bags. Thaw one ball for each crust needed, (about 1 hour).
Roll out on floured pastry cloth and proceed as usual.

You can re-freeze them if you change your mind, or put in the fridge for later. They will last indefinately in the freezer.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:49 AM   #18
Master Chef

Red cabbage, IMO, is very easy and involves no slaving, so I always make that myself and I do think it's alot better than a jar. I shred the cabbage with the food processor, set it on the stove to braise and that's it.

I'm totally with you on punkin!!

I use canned beans, stock bases, some good canned sauces.

I don't cook with canned soup but I eat it.

I use prepared demiglaces sometimes.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:26 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Quote:
One is red cabbage, now just buy it in the jar, and the other is pumpkin pie mix which I purchase in the can.
You can't get canned pumpkin in Ireland so I was going to the hassle of making my own too...Then both my grandma and my mom (seperately) told me that you can just prep and cube the pumpkin and cook it in the microwave in something like a Pyrex casserole dish. It takes about 1/4 the time and works awesomely!

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 01:49 PM   #20
Head Chef

I never make tomato sauce from scratch. I know it tastes better etc. but jI am just not into the whole sterilizing, preserving thing. I would rather buy good quality canned ones.

On the other hand I dont like to use any other canned veggie product. I use frozen ones but not canned. The slimy liquid is a huge turn-off for me. The same with beans. It's easy for me to cook them at home in my pressure cooker so I do it from scratch.