"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-25-2006, 02:50 PM   #21
Master Chef

You don't have to can sauce. I just freeze mine.

I love making cream puff shells! I am better at pastries made on the stove than in the Kitchenaid

Old 01-25-2006, 03:44 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
I love making cream puff shells! I am better at pastries made on the stove than in the Kitchenaid
Wow Jenny... I am such a chicken to try this out even though I am tempted to at times... I just have a bad premonition, after hearing about failures by so many people... can you post your recipe with all the details and tips?

Old 01-25-2006, 04:51 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

For the past year or so I have been buying the jarred spaghetti sauce and doctoring it up for consumption. I think it's fine that way and only make "gravy" when I've got a weekend to kill.

The only canned veggies I buy are the French cut green beans for The Casserole and various Goya brand beans to make taco soup (altho I like using dried beans for soup - see weekend note above). Frozen for peas and fresh for carrots.

Pillsbury pie crusts have save my a$$ more times than I can mention. And fuggedabout homemade puff pastry and shells.

Choux pastry is easy to do at home (Alix..........) so I do that.

Let's remember, class, that everyone has varying amounts of time available. I am not at all ashamed of using "convenience" ingredients when I need them during the week, and savor the time I have on weekends to fiddle around with fancier stuff.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:22 PM   #24
Head Chef

O.K. off topic a bit but looks like there are many who make different pastry doughs from scratch. Given I worked with dough from a very young age I am comfortable making most doughs (pie, pizza, challah, other breads, roti, naan etc. etc.) with the exception of puff pastry.

Can someone be so kind to share their recipe with me. Worth the effort or not I'd still like to learn it and I want a recipe that is tried and tested so I'm not googling and picking up the first I run into.

With so many pros out here I am counting on some help.

Many thanks.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:36 PM   #25
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
Wow Jenny... I am such a chicken to try this out even though I am tempted to at times... I just have a bad premonition, after hearing about failures by so many people... can you post your recipe with all the details and tips?

I am a so-so baker. I blame it on my oven!

But for pate a choux, the dough is made in a saucepan and then piped onto a baking sheet for eclairs or cream puffs or whatever.

For some reason, I can make pretty much anything involving pate a choux -- and since it's baked, I can't blame the oven. Guess I'll start blaming the KA mixer!

Anyway, my recipe is from cooking school and is on a xerox sheet at home but it's pretty basic, and similar to this one Martha Stewart's pate a choux recipe

When I make pate a choux, I usually make eclairs filled with pastry cream and topped with chocolate. I seem to recall that I have a savory (parmesan?) recipe somewhere, too.

Anyway, try the linked recipe sometime. Pate a choux is actually very easy. ANd it's one of those recipes where the results are way more impressive than the amount of work involved.

If I can find my recipe at home and its any different or easier than Martha's, I'll post it.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:42 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Jennyema, I remember a friend of mine years ago making something with a cream puff pastry which contained onions. I can't remember now what she called them, but if I find it any time soon I will post it. The ones I've made I used the same pastry for sweet and savory. Hers were really special, though and I would like to make them myself.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:36 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
Come on Licia, give it a try..I am not a baker, but, I can make cream puffs or eclairs..My kids will take those instead of birthday cake any day..And I know you can do it...Good heavens girl, If I can make them I know yours will be wonderfull.come on I dare ya

kadesma
Old 01-26-2006, 01:51 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
You don't have to can sauce. I just freeze mine.

Jenny,
have you ever tried Jacques and Julia's recipe for the cream puff shells? There's uses milk instead of water..I've done both, and the reception from family is we like em both. ..I just wanted someone elses opinnion and feelings one them. Which do you prefer?
kadesma
Old 01-26-2006, 02:37 PM   #29
Master Chef

No, but I have their cookbook, so will try it next time I make pate a choux.

I think my recipe at home uses milk ....
Old 01-26-2006, 03:04 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Mine calls for water also. The hardest part is making the decision to do it.