Frozen Citrus Zest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

htc

Head Chef
Does anyone ever keep a supply of frozen lemon,orange or lime zest in the freezer to use? I have recently started doing this and notice that it's not as strong of a flavor as zest that is fresh. Anyone else notice this? What do you do to make it taste like it's come right off the fruit? Just add more?

I zest my citrus onto wax paper, fold the wax paper up and then store it in a tupperware. Is there a better storage technique? Thanks!

I freeze orange and lemon rind in ziplog bags. I have not noticed any slight loss of flavour but I do believe that freezing will affect its flavour somehow. I usually put more rind than the recipe calls for, so you might want to do likewise.

I think you lose some of the essential oils of the zest and probably lose some flavor/strength.

You might lose a little of the flavor/oils, but isn't it wonderful to always have zest handy? I just wrap mine in plastic wrap and seal in a heavy baggie.

I just used some frozen orange peel this morning in cookies. I like to use a potato peeler to remove the peel from the citrus (no white pith) and then I freeze the strips. When I need them I put them (still frozen) into the food processor with the sugar called for in the recipe. I process the peel and sugar until finely chopped. I agree with others, you need to use a little more of the frozen zest/peel than you would the fresh and, yes, it is great to have citrus zest always handy and ready to use! (IMHO --I like to use the peel from my home grown citrus or organic citrus. I think the peel on regular citrus has been exposed to too many sprays.)

Try drying the lemon zest in a dehydrator or low oven until dry - store as any other herb/spice. It is approx 2-3X stronger than fresh zest.

Again, an inquiring mind would like to know...
Why freeze citrus zest when it takes 2 minutes to remove the zest from a fresh lemon/lime/orange/grapefruit?

I freeze the zest too - I don't find that there's much of a loss of quality. It's just more convenient because you always have it on hand. I also freeze the juice in ice cube trays. I strain the juice first, so you don't have to worry about pits or anything. Also very convenient!

I freeze it for convienence. I don't always have citrus on hand and want to save a trip out while cooking. Also feel like if I don't zest all my citrus peels before composting them, it's kind of a waste (since I bake and cook a lot).

auzzi, how long should it be in the oven on low?

Thanks

Here's what I do...

This is what I do when freezing zest: When I squeeze an orange, lemon or lime I freeze the rind uncut. When I'm ready for the grated zest, I grate it just before it thaws completely. This way the zest has a "fresh grated" flavor. This works especially well with limes.

Zest

Sararwelch said:
I freeze the zest too - I don't find that there's much of a loss of quality. It's just more convenient because you always have it on hand. I also freeze the juice in ice cube trays. I strain the juice first, so you don't have to worry about pits or anything. Also very convenient!

I also freez my zest but, I vacuum pack it.
I just juiced about 50 lemons and key limes. Ended up with 3 ice cube trays of each plus a 6 muffin tin of the lemon juice.

Charlie

Back
Top Bottom