"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-09-2006, 03:50 AM   #1
Head Chef

Question Frozen Citrus Zest

Does anyone ever keep a supply of frozen lemon,orange or lime zest in the freezer to use? I have recently started doing this and notice that it's not as strong of a flavor as zest that is fresh. Anyone else notice this? What do you do to make it taste like it's come right off the fruit? Just add more?

I zest my citrus onto wax paper, fold the wax paper up and then store it in a tupperware. Is there a better storage technique? Thanks!

Old 12-09-2006, 04:27 AM   #2
Executive Chef

I freeze orange and lemon rind in ziplog bags. I have not noticed any slight loss of flavour but I do believe that freezing will affect its flavour somehow. I usually put more rind than the recipe calls for, so you might want to do likewise.

Old 12-09-2006, 05:00 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

I think you lose some of the essential oils of the zest and probably lose some flavor/strength.
Old 12-09-2006, 06:25 AM   #4
Sous Chef

You might lose a little of the flavor/oils, but isn't it wonderful to always have zest handy? I just wrap mine in plastic wrap and seal in a heavy baggie.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:39 PM   #5
Senior Cook

I just used some frozen orange peel this morning in cookies. I like to use a potato peeler to remove the peel from the citrus (no white pith) and then I freeze the strips. When I need them I put them (still frozen) into the food processor with the sugar called for in the recipe. I process the peel and sugar until finely chopped. I agree with others, you need to use a little more of the frozen zest/peel than you would the fresh and, yes, it is great to have citrus zest always handy and ready to use! (IMHO --I like to use the peel from my home grown citrus or organic citrus. I think the peel on regular citrus has been exposed to too many sprays.)
Old 12-09-2006, 01:53 PM   #6
Head Chef

I like fresh but I do keep orange and lemon rinds in a Tupperware dish in my freezer.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 12:49 AM   #7
Cook

Try drying the lemon zest in a dehydrator or low oven until dry - store as any other herb/spice. It is approx 2-3X stronger than fresh zest.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:45 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Again, an inquiring mind would like to know...
Why freeze citrus zest when it takes 2 minutes to remove the zest from a fresh lemon/lime/orange/grapefruit?
Old 12-16-2006, 12:42 AM   #9
Senior Cook

I freeze the zest too - I don't find that there's much of a loss of quality. It's just more convenient because you always have it on hand. I also freeze the juice in ice cube trays. I strain the juice first, so you don't have to worry about pits or anything. Also very convenient!
Sararwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 02:13 AM   #10
Head Chef

I freeze it for convienence. I don't always have citrus on hand and want to save a trip out while cooking. Also feel like if I don't zest all my citrus peels before composting them, it's kind of a waste (since I bake and cook a lot).

auzzi, how long should it be in the oven on low?

Thanks