Frozen Fish - Eat or Toss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JGDean

Sous Chef
I went through the garage refrigerator and ran into some frozen snapper from 07/2009. It was cleaned and put in Food Saver bags right out of the Gulf and kept frozen solid. Do you think it will be good to eat or not?

My vote is to try it. Use a simple prep, so if you do have to toss it, you won't have wasted much time or expensive ingredients.

As long as it was kept solidly frozen, it will be safe and not spoiled, but it may taste like freezer.

Oh, and have a backup plan--carryout or delivery!

One sniff should tell you. Even if it's safe, it does lose it's flavor and texture over time.

I agree here. Personally, as a rule, I never keep fish frozen for longer than one month. Freezing destroys much of the delicate flavour, especially of flatties: sole, plaice and dabs. But also, I can't take food safety risks, even though our freezers are as cold as it gets.

If it was frozen you are fine. It may indeed lost some flavor, add some nice herbs/spices when cooking.

It smelled OK. I grilled it in my cast iron grill pan with spices. No flavor at all and the edges were spongey. I did not save the left overs. They went into the vacant lot for the wild ctitters to find.

At that point you should have made some fish with sauce to compencate for lost flavor. But it's too late.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom