Frozen stuffed whole chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slett

Cook
A lot of conflicting stories on the Internet on how to treat this poultry dilemma. Im cooking a frozen stuffed whole chicken right now.
After a lot of Internet research, I'm going with the theory that you never thaw a stuffed bird and treat it like a frozen stuffed turkey. I bought fresh stuffed chickens and chucked them in the freezer right away.
M&M meats sells a frozen stuffed chicken and the cooking instructions say to cook from frozen at 375 under light foil for 2 1/2 - 3 hours, remove foil and give it another half hour. Make sure temperatures jive and then let it sit covered for 15 min.
This is my plan.
Any thoughts? Advice?

I've never done what you describe. I'm not sure the center of the stuffing will be at a safe temperature (161º F) in that time. Also, I'd expect the white meat to be dry by then.

I recently posted a link to cooking frozen turkeys and used that method on a duck. It came out great (no stuffing though), but took longer than I expected to get up to temp. So my suggestions are first, set it on a wire rack so the air can circulate all around it. And use a thermometer, not just time, to check for doneness. Or one of the other methods... clear juices, leg is loose... but I would still check the stuffing with a thermometer to make sure that got up to proper temp.

3 hours, 3 lbs, all temps jived. Only basted once. Turned out pretty good for a pre stuffed grocery bird. Fall off the bone done that's for sure. Breast a little bit dry but certainly edible. A little gravy, some beauty roasted potatoes, a glass of beer for the cook and everyone is satisfied and happy.

Back
Top Bottom