Frozen vs fresh spinach for spanakopita

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

milkdemcows

Assistant Cook
Would using frozen spinach for a spanakopita be much inferior to using fresh?

I'd guess you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Be sure to get all the excess water out of the spinach before using it.

Fresh if you have it. Frozen works too but as Andy says... make sure it's drained VERY WELL!!

Actually, I find the frozen easier to use. the whole washing and sauteeing procedure is eliminated. But as Andy said, you need to squeeze the bejeezus out of the stuff (I use a kitchen towel) because either type of spinach needs to be bone dry or the phyllo will turm mushy.

To me there are some things that are worth the extra effort of doing and some not.

For spanakopita I go with the frozen.

But just me.

Frozen, although I have made ricotta and spinach cannelloni using fresh, uncooked spinach and it turned out fine. Just need to consider the shrinkage during the cooking process.

I recommend frozen chopped spinach ... I set in colander and drain overnight in the sink, press, press, press, and then wrap in paper towel or cheesecloth and squeeze, squeeze, squeeze. In the restaurant, we used to just wring it out with our hands.

What a great idea! I'd never thought of using a potato ricer before!

I should buy a potato ricer instead of just borrowing one occasionally. I'd probably make my spaghetti & meatballs cake a lot more often!

I used to thaw it slowly overnight, but I figured as long as I was squeezing til it hurt, what did the extra water matter? I soak it in water til it breaks up, squeeze by hand a bit then put it in cheesecloth and twist the top til I can twist no nore!

Would using frozen spinach for a spanakopita be much inferior to using fresh?

Nope - frozen spinach is just blanched and "wilted" - like you would have to do if you were using fresh (according to the Greek recipe I have). If you're going to get really fussy - try making your own phyllo, too!

I've tried using fresh spinach a couple of times ... didn't notice that it was any better than properly drained/wrung out frozen (I just squeezed the heck out of it in my hand). My experience has been that the cheese(s) make more of a difference than the spinach.

Back
Top Bottom