"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 09-02-2015, 07:46 AM   #21
Master Chef
Originally Posted by Miss Lynn View Post
Using this 3 minute rule can, and most likely will, lead to food poisoning when it comes to chicken, pork, most fish, and shellfish.

That's just not true, sorry.

Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 09:48 AM   #22
Head Chef
Originally Posted by dcSaute View Post
as pointed out, timers are available. leave it in the drawer.

as pointed out, with proper temp proteins release from the pan when they are ready to flip. forcing them too soon involves scraping them off the pan - and that almost always makes a mess of it. just grab the handle and shake the pan a bit - you see when the meat/fish comes loose.

there is one very important note for fish - especially skin on: the pan and oil must be hot, and the fish surface must to be dry. and, when it applies, do fish & poultry skin side down first.

moisture+proteins+heat = glue
beef/pork/poultry you can get away with some moisture - not with fish - you will very definitely tear up the fish trying to flip it.
I use a paper towel to dry the fish immediately prior to putting it in the pan - as "while in the air headed for the pan"

btw, the flip many times theory does not apply to frying fish.
Only meaningful if you don't use nonstick cookware. Even well seasoned cast iron doesn't stick much. When I use stainless, I'm careful to heat the pan properly on medium heat and again protein doesn't seem to stick much, certainly not requiring a sear to release.

The worst sticking problems I have is on a nonstick pan where the coating is worn out from overheating too often. The only solution for them is to discard them. These days I'm careful to heat my pans properly to protect the properties I bought them for.

RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 01:05 PM   #23
Master Chef
Find a favorite song that's about 3 mins long. Sing that or play that while you're cooking.

I could give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!
jabbur is offline   Reply With Quote