"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-28-2010, 01:27 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Frying with oil question

Hi, everyone. My name is Kylie and this is my first post. I hope I'm posting in the correct section.

Here is my question: I make a lot of new recipes, usually from the cooking channel. Often, the recipe will tell me to fry some sort of meat like chicken pieces or pork chops in oil. The problem I'm finding is they always seem to suggest using one or two T of oil heated to near smoking on med-high heat, and they expect you to brown four or six pieces of meat in this little bit of oil... Well, I always need to add more, even if I reduce the cooking temp. Can anyone really brown enough meat for six people in 1-2 T's of oil? Is it just me? My oil disappears before all the meat is browned and I don't want my meat to blacken or taste burned.

Thoughts, anyone? Thanks in advance.

Kylie

Old 03-28-2010, 02:54 AM   #2
Master Chef

Hi Kylie! Welcome to DC. If you want more people to know you are new you can also introduce yourself here: Introductions & Birthdays! - Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

I find I always need more oil than a recipe calls for when frying foods. To try and cut down on both absorption and burned food I'll use a non-stick pan, put just enough oil to show a tiny bit of depth, then wipe the pan with paper towels and refuel when the oil looks "dirty".

Old 03-28-2010, 05:24 AM   #3
Flour Child

Nice to meet you, kylie and cooking goddess. Yes, what's up with that??? I often have to use more oil than called for too.

I think the cook doesn't want their recipe to look too fattening but probably succumbs to a bit of heavy-handedness with the oil too

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:43 AM   #4
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Welcome to DC Kylie!

Watch what type of pan they are using. Many of them use non-stick pans which need less oil. If you are using SS instead of non-stick you will defianelty need more oil. Also, if you notice, many of them say 2T oil, then just pour it in without measuring. I'm sure they are using more than they say.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:51 AM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
Welcome to DC Kylie!

Watch what type of pan they are using. Many of them use non-stick pans which need less oil. If you are using SS instead of non-stick you will defianelty need more oil. Also, if you notice, many of them say 2T oil, then just pour it in without measuring. I'm sure they are using more than they say.
I have read that if you heat a SS pan then put the oil in it takes less. I could give a scientific Alton Brownesque reason but I can't remember the reason. If you have a SS pan though give it a try. I know I need more in the CI pan, but it's worth it because of the great sear you get.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:25 AM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

I suspect they don't want to scare off their fat-phobic viewers so they minimize the oil quantity.

Use enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:14 AM   #7
Head Chef

Well, from watching TV shows, cooks tend to underestimate the oil (and salt) they
put in things.
Their "touch of" or 1/2 cup, is my "Lots of" or 1 cup!!!!

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:34 PM   #8
Flour Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagriller View Post
I have read that if you heat a SS pan then put the oil in it takes less...I know I need more in the CI pan, but it's worth it because of the great sear you get.
Okay, i'm new so go easy on me here because this may prove to be a stupid question but...what is a CI pan? I'm familiar with stainless steel and teflon but CI? Copper-infused?...hmm...no, that would be kinda' difficult.

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
Old 03-28-2010, 01:04 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Cast Iron
Old 03-28-2010, 01:18 PM   #10
Flour Child

.....arghh! Did it have to be so obvious??? ...thank you, andy