Frying with oil question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kylie

Assistant Cook
Hi, everyone. My name is Kylie and this is my first post. I hope I'm posting in the correct section. :)

Here is my question: I make a lot of new recipes, usually from the cooking channel. Often, the recipe will tell me to fry some sort of meat like chicken pieces or pork chops in oil. The problem I'm finding is they always seem to suggest using one or two T of oil heated to near smoking on med-high heat, and they expect you to brown four or six pieces of meat in this little bit of oil... Well, I always need to add more, even if I reduce the cooking temp. Can anyone really brown enough meat for six people in 1-2 T's of oil? Is it just me? My oil disappears before all the meat is browned and I don't want my meat to blacken or taste burned.

Thoughts, anyone? Thanks in advance.

Kylie

Hi Kylie! Welcome to DC. If you want more people to know you are new you can also introduce yourself here: Introductions & Birthdays! - Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

I find I always need more oil than a recipe calls for when frying foods. To try and cut down on both absorption and burned food I'll use a non-stick pan, put just enough oil to show a tiny bit of depth, then wipe the pan with paper towels and refuel when the oil looks "dirty".

Nice to meet you, kylie and cooking goddess. Yes, what's up with that??? I often have to use more oil than called for too.

I think the cook doesn't want their recipe to look too fattening but probably succumbs to a bit of heavy-handedness with the oil too :innocent:

Welcome to DC Kylie!

Watch what type of pan they are using. Many of them use non-stick pans which need less oil. If you are using SS instead of non-stick you will defianelty need more oil. Also, if you notice, many of them say 2T oil, then just pour it in without measuring. I'm sure they are using more than they say.

Welcome to DC Kylie!

Watch what type of pan they are using. Many of them use non-stick pans which need less oil. If you are using SS instead of non-stick you will defianelty need more oil. Also, if you notice, many of them say 2T oil, then just pour it in without measuring. I'm sure they are using more than they say.

I have read that if you heat a SS pan then put the oil in it takes less. I could give a scientific Alton Brownesque reason but I can't remember the reason. If you have a SS pan though give it a try. I know I need more in the CI pan, but it's worth it because of the great sear you get.

I suspect they don't want to scare off their fat-phobic viewers so they minimize the oil quantity.

Use enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan.

Well, from watching TV shows, cooks tend to underestimate the oil (and salt) they
put in things.
Their "touch of" or 1/2 cup, is my "Lots of" or 1 cup!!!!

I have read that if you heat a SS pan then put the oil in it takes less...I know I need more in the CI pan, but it's worth it because of the great sear you get.
Okay, i'm new so go easy on me here because this may prove to be a stupid question but...what is a CI pan? I'm familiar with stainless steel and teflon but CI? Copper-infused?...hmm...no, that would be kinda' difficult.

Cooking with oil

Greeting and welcome Kylie

When a recipe calls for something like 2 tbs oil it means you are not DEEP FRYING but pan frying or sauteing.
The purpose of the oil is to conduct heat from the pan to the food you are cooking, it forms a smooth layer over the rough surface of the food and pan. If you have ever roasted peppers over a flame you first rub the pepper with oil and then hold over the flame, same principle.
The high heat seals the food and cooks it quickly while keeping the texture, flavor, and moisture. If you need to add more oil you may not have the pan hot enough when you start so the food absorbs all the oil. The oil in the pan should be beyond shimmering and just about to smoke.

bestoya
Bobbleheadbob

The amount of oil given is to start. If you are searing a second panful, and you may well need to as the TV cooks over crowd their pans which really prevents good browning, you may need to add moreoil. However, if you are browning meat with some fat content, say chicken with bone and skin, you won't need to add any more.

Contrary to popular belief, searing the meat does not seal in anything, but it does add flavor profiles.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom