Fun finds at TJ Maxx

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GotGarlic

Chef Extraordinaire
Is anyone else fascinated by the random ingredients you can find at TJ Maxx? They have some very high quality stuff at great prices. Trader Joe's is too far away to be convenient for me, but TJ's is right next to my primary grocery store :mrgreen:

I stopped by recently and got these, among a few other things.
0213171805_HDR.jpg

Unfortunately, there isn't a TJ Maxx conveniently located anywhere near me, but I do shop often at HomeGoods, which is their home decor offshoot. I almost always walk out of there with some incredible bargain. Last week I bought a set of 3 very nice ceramic serving bowls. Total cost: $9.71 :ohmy:

I went to Home Goods for the first time recently; it's not close by but we were in the area for something else. I was in love ? What a great store! I restrained myself and only came home with a standing toilet paper holder ?

Now that I think about it, it's kinda close to the place where our beekeepers club meets. We may have to leave a little earlier next month...

And yes, Andy, I've gotten Le Creuset dishes, glassware and other such items at great prices there, too.

Unfortunately, there isn't a TJ Maxx conveniently located anywhere near me, but I do shop often at HomeGoods, which is their home decor offshoot. I almost always walk out of there with some incredible bargain. Last week I bought a set of 3 very nice ceramic serving bowls. Total cost: $9.71 :ohmy:

Home Goods, TJ Maxx and Marshall's are related and all have more or fewer kitchen items.

I just got a jar of Fat Works Lard Leaf at Homeworks for $10. It advertises for $22 on Amazon. It makes great pie crusts.

We have Tuesday Morning stores down here. I pop in from time to time, and occasionally find a real bargain. I once found a LeCreset 16 Qt. stock pot for 75 bucks. Those things retail for $195. It is an ugly color, but I can make a huge batch of Gumbo in it.

CD

I don't normally go to TJ Maxx, but Mrs.DF and I met two weeks ago for lunch and shopping at the Green Grocer, she wanted tips and hints on different stuff.
Anywhos, next door is a TJ Maxx, which she made sure I went in to.
I found a gorgeous SS Kitchen Trash Can with a foot petal to open it hands free AND the lid doesn't slam shut when you let go of the foot petal.
I had been looking at BB&B at their "Simple Human" cans and the one I was just about to buy was $179 (I struggled with that price for a trash can!), I paid $79.99 for some off brand that looks fabulous! Love it!!

Mrs.DF bought Avacado Oil that we had seen at Trader Joe's for like $13, TJ Maxx, $6.99!!

DOUBLE SCORE!!

I love TJ Maxx and Homegoods. I've gotten some great deals there. Homegoods had a bunch of Fat Daddios cake pans for less than half of what they were on amazon. It's not a well known brand to non-pros so customers probably weren't impressed with light weight aluminum pans, but they are fantastic, I made a good haul that day!

I had a field day when outfitting my mom's new kitchen!

Home Goods, TJ Maxx and Marshall's are related and all have more or fewer kitchen items.

Yep. Sierra Trading Post is the other member of the TJX family. More of an outdoor goods retailer, from what I understand. They just opened one close to where I used to live, but I haven't been there yet.

Ross Dress for Less is another one, they carry household goods and exotic foods, too. Appear to be an outlet for things that don't sell at TJMaxx.

They have the Kai Pure Komachi knives for like $7 each. The pink one is the chef's knife, and the orange bread one is great too. Awesome knives especially for their low prices.

TJX Corporation is headquartered in Framingham, MA. You would think with headquarters up here, they would have stand-alone stores for Homegoods. Nope, most of them are part of a TJ Maxx set-up - two adjacent storefronts with a pass-through between the stores. Homegoods is always the much smaller one. :( Or the Homegoods is a corner set aside in a TJ Maxx. I love the Homegoods that are stand-alone, good sized units. I got a number of great deals in one on Hilton Head when we spent a week there one year on a time-share swap. Himself kept reminding me that the purpose of our vacation was not to fill the car with kitchen goodies. :LOL:

Ross Dress for Less is another one, they carry household goods and exotic foods, too. Appear to be an outlet for things that don't sell at TJMaxx.
Ross is actually a competitor of TJMaxx and Marshalls. Here is a list of the TJX Corporation retail stores by country:

https://www.tjx.com/businesses/

My favorite good-deals store when we would come up here to vacation in the 1970s was Christmas Tree Shops. Ran across it when we camped on Cape Cod. It's so much more than Christmas stuff, as explained in this article from Good Housekeeping. Back in 2003, they were acquired by Bed, Bath and Beyond. In fact, BBB has been busy gobbling up all sorts of off-price stores: BBB Corporate Stores

Hmmm...Ross and TJM are next to each other in the strip mall in Missoula. Ross is cheaper the TJM. There was a Marshall's in the mall. There's nothing here, I have to go to Fort Collins or Denver for those type stores.

Hmmm...Ross and TJM are next to each other in the strip mall in Missoula. Ross is cheaper the TJM. There was a Marshall's in the mall. There's nothing here, I have to go to Fort Collins or Denver for those type stores.

You really did move to the boonies. Be patient. In about ten years, you probably won't even recognize your little burg. America's little towns have a way of hitting a growth spurt. After all Manhattan was traded for just a few glass beads. And it is only an island.

Best sure to check expiration dates on foods. They get a lot of short shelf life products. Big Lots buys lots of liquidation stock from the company I work for. Its all short shelf life.

Best sure to check expiration dates on foods. They get a lot of short shelf life products. Big Lots buys lots of liquidation stock from the company I work for. Its all short shelf life.
According to this, TJ Maxx doesn't do that: http://www.bonappetit.com/entertaining-style/article/t-j-maxx-food-sources

Contrary to the assumption that T. J. Maxx sells overstock or discards from fancy foods stores, like Williams-Sonoma or Macy’s, T. J. Maxx often acquires items that are specially produced just for them. Andy Oliver, the president of jam and condiment company Braswells, says, “They want top quality. I don’t think people realize it’s not blowout stuff. You’re manufacturing for them.”

Last edited:
I found some ridicuously large fusilli there around Christmas. I attached a picture but it doesn't do what I actually found justice because it was easily twice as long and twice as thick.

JxL3NDo.jpg

My favorite find that I have been using is a screen to place over my pot when I deep fry. Keep the underside of the microwave and the walls oil free.

Back
Top Bottom