"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-14-2011, 04:22 PM   #1
Cook

Post Fussy eaters

My youngest son (3 years old) is a real picky eater. Even when I am reading a food magazine and I will say to him, mmmmm this looks super yummy, he will reply "I don't like that, it looks yucky". So I know half the battle is presentation. But I'm running out of ideas.

I'm compiling a list of possible go to foods for him so that when I'm have dead, I can still figure out something he will eat that is healthy and fairly easy to prepare.

Any ideas?

He likes breaded fish, but no other fish. He likes chicken. Likes ground beef. Loves fruit. Fave veges are asparagus, fresh artichoke, broccoli and peas. Loves eggs.

Dislikes cooked tomatoes or tomato based sauces. Hates butter, pork, most cheese but cheese sauce is OK. Will not eat anything with even a hint of spice. The only potato he will eat is chips or french fries. Neither is a health option.

If he had it his way, he'd live on scrambled eggs, fruit and plain pasta.

Old 10-14-2011, 04:39 PM   #2
Half Baked

Are we married and sharing the same 3yr old?

It is a constant battle to get him to eat too. We just keep telling him about getting big and strong by eating the right foods.We try and reinforce it while doing other activities or when he asks about being a "Big Boy" and doing "Big Boy things"

The other he will do is only eat protein at dinner one night then only carbs the next then only veg.He will say he doesn't like the other stuff but you know he does.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:46 PM   #3
Cook

It's frustrating because his brother was never like this. The brother will try anything and eats almost exactly what we eat and oddly enough loves big bowls of chopped lettuce (???).

I just want a few "go to" recipes that the rest of us might be able to stomach as well.

If I look online, everything is either pizza, chicken strips, chicken soup or corn.

Maybe we are married. We are both in the Bay Area. :-)
Old 10-14-2011, 04:55 PM   #4
Half Baked

My older daughter will try anything.

How about peanut butter? My boy has to have his whole grain toast with PB every morning.(Me too) We skip the jelly and split a banana.

Have you tried pesto or white sauce or brown butter/sage on his pasta.

My Flickr stuff!
Old 10-14-2011, 05:00 PM   #5
Cook

Nuts, YES. I forgot that. He loves all the nut butters. He hates bread but is OK with toast or crackers. I have this awesome oatmeal cracker recipe that works well with him.

He does not like pesto and although the brown butter/sage sounds delicious, he hates butter. Who hates butter???? I mistakenly put a little butter on his waffle once and it was a total melt down.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:05 PM   #6
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceoflife View Post
He likes breaded fish, but no other fish. He likes chicken. Likes ground beef. Loves fruit. Fave veges are asparagus, fresh artichoke, broccoli and peas. Loves eggs.
This sounds like a great start for a 3-year old.

With my daughter, I used to try to get her involved in the cooking part of things. Kids always seem to like food better when they have helped make it. You don't have to work on knife skills or anything extreme, but have them help with mixing things or adding spices you have pre-measured out (make sure you let them smell or taste the spices on their own before adding them).

Don't push too much at once. It will take time. Kids seem to have super sensitive taste buds that pick up on many things that we as adults don't. They don't get subtleties, just the "big picture" flavors like sweet, salty, spicy, sour, etc.

And don't be afraid to use a little tough love from time to time. My favorite saying with my daughter was "if you don't like what we're having for dinner, you know where the peanut butter is." Over time, she ended up hating peanut butter, but loving almost everything else.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:07 PM   #7
Half Baked

The brown butter may work with him since is is pretty nutty tasting. I have no problem lying to son what things are. If he wants fish and we have chicken then the chicken is fish.

How about fake crab or other seafoods. The "California Roll" noodle bowl that has been posted here is pretty darn good and kid freindly.

My Flickr stuff!
Old 10-14-2011, 05:09 PM   #8
Half Baked

Steve, you are right about the getting them to help idea. I did alot more of that with m daughter. I am going to make an effort now with the boy.

My Flickr stuff!
Old 10-14-2011, 05:18 PM   #9
Cook

He can cook scrambled eggs. He will crack, mix, pour and cook the eggs and all I have to do is supervise and watch the heat. I know his taste buds are sensitive. I don't even salt his food. And yes he has had many peanut butter on toast dinners :-)

I'm going to try the brown butter sage sauce. It might work! I'm so inspired about the seafood comment, I think I am going to try crab cakes tonight. What an awesome idea. I can even freeze them for easy weeknight meals. Alright! Fingers crossed.

Off to find the "California Roll" noodle bowl recipe here.

Thanks!
Old 10-14-2011, 05:50 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I wouldn't push too hard. Toddlers can be notoriously picky eaters, he'll find his own interests sooner or later, and he won't starve to death in the meantime. Just present different things. Involving him in the prep is a great idea! Growing up, our dinner table was a battlefield, as I didn't like anything and my parents would try to make me eat. Guess who won?