Game Pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shingies pete

Assistant Cook
Hi guys, new to this site and hoping someone out there can help. I have 2 x grouse, 2 x woodcock and 2 x snipe. I don't want my pie to be too gamey, does anyone have any suggestion of what other meat/ingredients i should add. Cheers shingies pete:chef:

You sound like your from the U.P. Are you a Yooper?

It's essential to remove all of the feathers, and maybe the areas fo the breast meat where the wing meats the body. Typically, that's the gamiest part of the birds. I've cleaned my share of ruffed grouse, and imagine that most game birds are similar in flavor make-up as far as where the gaminess is most pronounced. It's the area that gets the most blood flow.

I always though snipe were fictitious birds with which to cause a bit of horseplay between those who have been, and those who haven't been on a snipe hunt.:LOL:

Herbs such as sage and thyme will mask some of that gaminess as well. Pepper helps too. I would stay away from rosemary though. It might accentuate the flavor. I've found that the most powerful gaminess comes from birds that have fed on, and lived in pine areas. Also, if they eat a lot of wild sage, they can develop strong flavors.

Seeeeeeyal; Goodweed of the North

Interesting facts Goodweed of the North. Checked out your food blog..good stuff... those pies look incredible!

That pie really does look amazing, thanks for the link to the blog and recipe, something I hope to try soon.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom