"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-05-2006, 03:34 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

(laughing at myself, kingfisher...) yeah, the shelf life of dirt....

Dittos on your other suggestions for raised beds. All the knowledge they tried to teach me during the Master Gardener course a few years ago started coming back while reading your post.

Old 03-05-2006, 05:51 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Tx for the tips! Actually, the beds were already purchased, and are 3x3x10"; from gardener's supply company, made from black recycled plastic. I just laid them on the ground (which is an old graveled boat storage area in the yard), put thick layers of newspaper down first, then filled the beds about 3/4 of the way up with the most beautiful mulch we have from a hickory tree we cut down 2 springs ago; I had no idea it had broken down so much, but it's the most beautiful black soil, just filled with earthworms! Added an 8 lb bag each of vermiculite and perlite, then added 2 40 lb bags of good topsoil. The 'dirt' looks gorgeous! We don't have moles or gophers, so I'm not real worried about that. We do have possums and 'coons, tho, and have bought some bobcat urine (!) to scatter around the beds; figure that'll keep those critters away! I used coyote urine up in Jersey, and all the woodchucks went bye-bye!!

Old 03-05-2006, 05:58 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
It's a little early for us too ... but Paul's been ready to play in the dirt for awhile. I think we're going to scale back this year and just do,

spinach
tomatoes
Zucchini
and
lots of peas.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:00 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
My dianthus are looking beautiful and spreading out in the garden now. I can't wait to go shopping for more plants and for my hibiscus to grow a bit more to plant them on the ground.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:45 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug
OK, you serious gardeners:

I've got an unopened bag of potting soil that has been sitting on the porch, and then the deck, in a covered location for at least a year.

Should I toss it, use it to repot inside plants, or throw it on one of the beds I'm gonna replant outside this year?
i cannot believe you asked this question when i wasn't around. we need to work on our comedic timing, you and me 'bug.

lol, that's like the "save the earth" movement. the earth is fine, and will be here until our sun goes supernova, way off in the future. it's people that may not be here...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 04:36 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

bucky, our timing is off a lot. I am usually snoring when you are entertaining the audience. Beat me over the head with the Nerf baseball bat - I know, I know, I don't know potting soil from shinola!

But I do know good ole Mother will be around here long after you and I have told our last joke.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:18 PM   #27
Executive Chef

I'd mix it in one of the beds outside Mudbug.

Since my sweet basil is gone with the weed killer, I decided to get me a few plants. When I was about to plant them on the herb bed, I noticed some white, ash looking stuff on the gardening soil. Eek! Can anyone tell me what in the world that is? I decided to repot the sweet basil plants instead while I fix the soil, if it's possible to repair with that eeky stuff in it.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:21 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Sounds like a fungus - You can probably spray the area with a soap containing a fungicide and get rid of it.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:30 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

yup, either minerals from hard water, or fungus or mildew. beware of chemical fungicides. try using powdered sulfur.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 03:34 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Yikes! I'm concerned now since my peppers are in the same bed and they're just about ready to eat. I will go back to the nursery to look for sulfur. Thanks you all.