"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 03-03-2006, 05:13 AM   #1
Executive Chef
Garden time!

At least here in SC! Our winter has been so mild I've still got flowers blooming from last fall!

I'm soooo excited; been gardening out of big pots for 3 years, and this is the year we decided to put in a permanent garden. Found a 'method' I'm going to try, call 'square-foot gardening'. Everything is in raised beds (I ordered mine from Gardener's Supply), 3 x 3 x 10 inches, and the soil mixture I'm using is 1/3 garden soil, 1/3 vermiculite, 1/3 mulch (we have a beautiful mulch pile from a tree taken down in our yard 2 years ago). You don't need to till the soil under the beds at all!!! I have 6 beds to grow in, and will rotate the cool-weather crops with warmer ones as the season goes on.

PLanting a little of everything, with lots of greens for salad; mesclun, spinach, arugula, frisee, baby beet leaves; kale; snap and regular peas; green beans; yellow squash and zucchini; of course, tomatoes and peppers; cucumbers; eggplant; going to try some fennel this year, too; and my herbs will finally have a permanent home!

Can't wait to go 'dig in the dirt'!!! What's everyone else doing?

marmalady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 05:20 AM   #2
Executive Chef
My fingers are getting itchy to get started. My first task will be to clean out the garden house so I can get at my supplies. I've been snapping off the dead parts of some of my plants already. I think I will only have what I can grow in my flower beds. I have a very large flower bed between the house and the pool and usually have herbs along with my permanent plants, but this year I'm putting in a few vegetable plants also. We have acreage, but getting dh to make a garden area is harder than pulling teeth. In the past we've had lots of problems with varmints getting our produce so he won't do it again. Good luck with whatever you grow.

Be an organ donor; give your heart to Jesus.
Exercise daily; walk with the Lord.
licia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 05:21 AM   #3
Contest Winner
Originally Posted by marmalady
Can't wait to go 'dig in the dirt'!!! What's everyone else doing?
Shovelling snow. It's March and we just got a big dump of it last week....ugh.

What I wouldn't do to be able to be gardening right now!
~passionate pescetarian~
grumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 06:14 AM   #4
Executive Chef
Grumblebee, I seriously considered you Northerners before I posted; didn't want to dangle our warm weather in front of anyone! You can certainly start your wish list with catalogs now, tho! :)

Licia - Check out www.squarefootgardening.com - you can do it all yourself! You just put the beds right on top of the ground - no tilling! There are some veggies that would look great in the flower beds; pepper plants, some patio tomatoes; Park seed has a dwarf Okra that puts out beautiful hibiscus like flowers.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:23 AM   #5
Executive Chef
Well, it is to early to really start thinking about that up here, but....

I noticed a couple weeks ago that our daffodils are coming up, and we obviously did NOT get all the tulips out of the main flower bed last year. I've got about 20 or so sprouting up.

I also noticed that some of my chives are sending up shoots. Maybe I can remember to use them this year?
Peace, Love, and Vegetable Rights!
Eat Meat and Save the Plants!
AllenOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 07:29 AM   #6
Head Chef
To early here in Northern MN. too but I am looking through the seed catalogs and planning my garden. Going to try some different kinds of veggies this year also. tomatos are my main plant and then corn. I plant carrots, beets, onions, cucumbers,squash, cabbage. Will do beans and some herbs also this year.
thumpershere2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 09:09 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
i can't wait marm!
going out to buy my seeds this weekend. hopefully we'll start the early spring stuff in a few eeks, while i start the nightshades and other may plantings in the basement under lights.

btw, my favourite gardening website: http://www.garden.org/home
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 09:22 AM   #8
Head Chef
Funny that this thread has come up today! Before we got a cold snap the last two days, I was starting to notice some of the flowers along the drive way showing signs of life again. Well, that, and all the sale papers are loaded with fertilizer and lawn care equipment all of a sudden.

This can only mean one thing - I REALLY need to get my butt in gear and get the propellers for the boat repaired!! Ice out can't be far away! Oh, and yeah, we need to figure out what to put in the garden this year, too!!

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 10:16 AM   #9
Master Chef
I'm sure we'll get some more bad weather, but spring is definately "springing" here in Southern Illionois. I have crocus, early daffodils, and anemones blooming, the trees are budding, and the frogs are hollerin' in the pond behind us. I even saw a bluebird yesterday.
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 10:23 AM   #10
Executive Chef
I think the weather's been a little weird everywhere. But - nooooo, there's no global warming, lol! I don't think we ever had a really hard freeze here this winter; temps that flirted in the low 30's, and frost on the ground, but nothing serious.

Constance - a bluebird! Surely that must mean good luck or something?