Gardening Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

middie

Chef Extraordinaire
Okay so i was outside doing some work on my flower beds (finally).
Last year I pulled out some wild scallions. This year there seems to be even more. For every one I pulled there had to be about 10-15 more. Anyone have any ideas on how to keep them from coming back ??

I dont know about "wild" scallions, I have a hard time growing them here. Since this seems to be an invasive weed in your area, take a shovel and dig deep to get all of the roots, they have shallow roots here.

Wish I knew, Middie. This is the extent of my gardening knowledge.

Middie, we call them wild onions here. What makes them so hard to get rid of is that they make jillions of tiny bulblets in the ground, and you can dig and dig and never get them all out. And if you let them bloom and set seed...:ohmy:

I suggest a trigger spray bottle of Round-up, so you won't kill any adjoining flowers. It's a systemic herbicide that kills the plant without poisoning the soil. Once the tops die down, dig out all the bulbs you can find. Even then, you'll probably need to keep spraying them for a couple of years before you get them all out.

It's a good product...very reliable and environmentally safe. When I had the greenhouses, I used to buy it by the barrel.
Another good product I used to buy was Surflan, which is pre-emergent herbicide. Once you get your garden clean and your plants planted, you can overspray with this stuff, and it will prevent seeds from germanating. There are other similar products, usually in granular form, available in your local garden center, and they are worth the investment...unless you like to pull weeds.
One more word about weeds: Mulch! It helps to keep the moisture in and the weeds out. I use 6-8" of straw on my vegetable garden, and about 4" of shredded wood mulch on my perrenial bed. Anything right next to your house needs to be cedar or cypress, so as not to invite termites.
By the way, I had one lonely morel mushroom come up in my perennial bed from the mulch we put down last year. It should have been left to propagate it'self, but my yard man picked it and brought it in, so we sauteed it with some fresh asparagus last night.

Strangely, I always enjoyed pulling weeds on a nice day. I'd get out my little stool and a 5 gallon bucket, find a spot in the garden, and clean up everything within reach before I moved. Even now, with my bad back, I can do a little bit, as long as I bend forward and not sideways.
There's something about getting my hands in the dirt, feeling the sun on the back of my neck, and listening to the sounds of nature that does my soul good.

Last edited:
I suggest a trigger spray bottle of Round-up, so you won't kill any adjoining flowers. It's a systemic herbicide that kills the plant without poisoning the soil. Once the tops die down, dig out all the bulbs you can find. Even then, you'll probably need to keep spraying them for a couple of years before you get them all out.[/quote]

Plants are starting to grow and bloom around here now and I'm finding new things. One thing I can't stand is this perinneal that is growing on the south side of my house. I'm almost certain its whats called Snow on the Mountain. I'd had this before and its so invasive. I've already went out and dug and dug and pulled and pulled and after all the rain we've had its all back. So I think I'll give your round up a try.

Back
Top Bottom