Originally Posted by socal27
Hi I am a new member...wondering if any of you have the same experience as i do. Chinese garlic not as potent as California grown. Any comments would be appreciated.
Over here in Venezuela I've identified 5 types of garlic.
1) Elephant garlic: HUGE cloves the size of radishes - but a very mild taste.
2) "Imported" garlic - a white papery skin. Around 12 - 15 cloves per head. Tastier than Elephant, but not as tasty as...
3) " Criollo" garlic. The heads may well bear 30 cloves, lightly purple in colour, with an intense garlic taste and smell. Undoubltedly the best, flavour-wise, but the absolute worst, peeling wise
4) Barquisimeto Garlic - a cross between 2 and 3. A large clove, purplish in colour. Very intense flavour - but a thick, thick skin, making it very hard to peel.
5) Peruvian Garlic. Somewhat like No.4, but a milder flavour and easier to peel.
Having said all that, which is totally
irrelevant to your question, I'd recommend you try both and then decide for yourself. accepted opinion is not always spot on!!