Garlic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sg4rb0s

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone,

This is my first post, hi to you all :)

I have a question. When I cook things like roast chicken, or roast something with garlic, my garlic always seems to turn to a burnt mess. For example, today, I am eating butternut squash, but my garlic burned in the oven. How can I overcome this issue? Most recipes seem to just put the garlic in the oven with the meat, or veg, but mine burns (i usually roast for 30-1h30 at 200 degrees).

Are you using whole garlic cloves or chopped? If whole, are you leaving the peel/skin on? Welcome to DC!:)

I chop them up into small pieces. Should I be leaving them in the skin? Wow that sounds so obvious, but honestly I just didn't think of that lol. I was just looking at it thinking, how the bloody hell do they NOT burn their garlic!

I am guessing that is 200 degrees C.,
You could insert sliced or smashed garlic under the skin of the chicken. Garlic will need some kind of moisture (vegetable juices, oil, water, etc.) or it will burn in a hurry.
As far as roasted butternut squash goes, roast the squash with salt and pepper. Make a garlic/butter or other garlic sauce and dress the squash after it is tender.

If you want to convince yourself about leaving it whole, just take a whole head of garlic, cut the top off exposing the cloves, make a foil pouch, place the head (cut side up) in the center of the pouch, drizzle with olive oil, a sprinkle of koshar salt, seal the pouch and roast/bake in the oven @ 450 F for about an hour. Let cool. Now you can squeeze the head and the garlic will ooze out like a paste. Good on toasted bread or you can make a roasted garlic cream sauce for pasta!:yum: Many other uses for it as well.

Back
Top Bottom