Garlic and Oil Broth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheNoodleIncident

Senior Cook
anyone got a good recipe for a garlic and oil "broth"/sauce for pasta? i make a very tasty, and very basic dish where you saute garlic in the oil, then toss with pasta - veggies or chicken can be added, usually topped with parm cheese and maybe lemon...what im looking for today is the garlic-y and oil-y sauce that is not just a light coating on the sauce, but more like a broth/sauce - meaning there is some left at the bottom of the bowl for bread dipping....similar in texture to what you would get if you ordered a clam dish with the "white" sauce....i've seen restaurants refer to this as a bordino (though i may have spelled it wrong)....i do NOT want a cream sauce, and i dont want to just add more oil to increase the volume (who wants to drink oil, anyway?)....im assuming that either wine or stock/broth (or a combo of both) is used, but perhaps there is more to it than that

reserve about 1 cup of the pasta water after the pasta has cooked before you drain it ... this is the salted starchy water that you will mix with you oil and garlic...and toss your pasta in.
you probably won't need a whole cup, but save that much out before you drain your pasta

you could add some dry white wine to your oil and garlic (couple splashes) and let it cook through before you add the pasta water
you could add red pepper flakes with the garlic
you could add minced parsley with the garlic
you could make your oil a mix of butter and olive oil

You can also make an olive oil-garlic infusion. Get whole fresh garlic with the skin still on and brush a little olive oil. Place in oven @ 350 degrees for about 40 min-45min. Let cool and remove skin by pressing lightly on the skin. Mash up roasted garlic to a fine pulp. Heat up 1 cup olive oil to a simmer. Add garlic and let simmer for about 3-5 minutes. Turn heat off, and let oil sit in pot until cool. Store in your pantry (in a dark place) for about 1 week. Strain oil infusion before using. Add fresh whole garlic to the oil not used and store in the pantry once again.

thanks for the replies, everyone...as it turns out, i didnt get a chance to check the forum before i had to cook, but what i did was very close to your suggestions....minced a bunch of garlic (5-10 cloves), and then sauted in a decent amount of olive oil....once it got a chance to flavor the oil, i tossed in a few stalks of asparagus, cut into bit sized pieces....gave that a few minutes to soften, then added some green peas....then added some chicken broth, i'd say about a half cup, and a splash of cider vinegar - this was my substitute for white wine, since i didnt have any in the house....i let that simmer for a few minutes, to reduce and finshing cooking the veggies, then tossed with freshly cooked pasta and cubed chicken which i just pulled from the oven....topped with fresh grated parm, fresh black pepper and some course sea salt (i like the crunch)....came out awesome....it still wasnt like what ive had at the restaurant, but def a keeper....super simple too

You can also make an olive oil-garlic infusion. Get whole fresh garlic with the skin still on and brush a little olive oil. Place in oven @ 350 degrees for about 40 min-45min. Let cool and remove skin by pressing lightly on the skin. Mash up roasted garlic to a fine pulp. Heat up 1 cup olive oil to a simmer. Add garlic and let simmer for about 3-5 minutes. Turn heat off, and let oil sit in pot until cool. Store in your pantry (in a dark place) for about 1 week. Strain oil infusion before using. Add fresh whole garlic to the oil not used and store in the pantry once again.

Garlic and oil can be very dangerous. It can give you botulism.

Oil infused with garlic must be kept refrigerated and you should throw aout any unused oil after 10-14 days.

"roasted garlic" oil botulism - Google Search=

Back
Top Bottom