"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-01-2007, 09:42 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Thanks jkath that was a great post. I know how to roast garlic now so that gives me even more options. Who knew garlic could be so versatile!?

Old 02-02-2007, 09:35 AM   #12
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to petey
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBrit
On the subject of garlic...what is the best way to store it? Refrigerate or in the pantry? We bought some garlic yesterday for the first time. I can't wait to cook with it!
Here is a nice trick, Remove husks from the outsides of each clove and place them into a jar then fill jar with oil of choice. I use either olive oil or canola. Make sure that the cloves are submerged. Put the jar in the refridgerator to store.Note that the oil will solidify, that is fine. It should last at least a month. At the same time you will have garlic flavored oil for cooking. just take a teaspoon and spoon some oil out into your pan for a sautee or whatever you will.

Hope this helped you

Old 02-02-2007, 11:54 PM   #13
Master Chef

Basically, for fresh heads of garlic all you need is someplace cool (not cold), dry, dark, and well ventilated but not in draft. Pretty much like for storing onions and potatoes. I have a wire 3-basket thing that hangs from the ceiling of my pantry that I toss all three in and they last for the 3-months it takes me to use them.

Storing raw cloves of garlic in oil, even when refrigerated, is a ticking biological time bomb. Garlic stored this way should never be stored for more than about one week. There is something about garlic - when stored in the air, as mentioned above, it lasts for months without problems - but when covered with oil (which produces an anerobic environment) it is a breeding ground for the bacterium Clostridium botulinum (aka: BOTULISM).

The garlic infused oils, and garlic packed in oil, that you find in the store are acidified before canning. That's why they always taste a little "off" from fresh garlic.

This falls into the discussion we had in another forum comparing food safety with wearing your seatbelt. It's far better to wear your seatbelt and never need it than to need it and not be wearing it. There are literally hundreds of resources that suggest storing galic in oil is driving without your seatbelt.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:23 AM   #14
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
Basically, for fresh heads of garlic all you need is someplace cool (not cold), dry, dark, and well ventilated but not in draft. Pretty much like for storing onions and potatoes. I have a wire 3-basket thing that hangs from the ceiling of my pantry that I toss all three in and they last for the 3-months it takes me to use them.

Storing raw cloves of garlic in oil, even when refrigerated, is a ticking biological time bomb. Garlic stored this way should never be stored for more than about one week. There is something about garlic - when stored in the air, as mentioned above, it lasts for months without problems - but when covered with oil (which produces an anerobic environment) it is a breeding ground for the bacterium Clostridium botulinum (aka: BOTULISM).

The garlic infused oils, and garlic packed in oil, that you find in the store are acidified before canning. That's why they always taste a little "off" from fresh garlic.

This falls into the discussion we had in another forum comparing food safety with wearing your seatbelt. It's far better to wear your seatbelt and never need it than to need it and not be wearing it. There are literally hundreds of resources that suggest storing galic in oil is driving without your seatbelt.
I'm just curious how bacterium Clostridium botulinum can develope if the garlic is submerged in oil (no air ) and the jar is closed tightly and kept refridgerated as well? Iv'e been doing this for some years now and the garlic is always good.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:02 AM   #15
Sous Chef

Wow, I've always kept my garlic in my veggie bin in the fridge. I guess I'll try keeping them out and see if it works out better.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:04 AM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PytnPlace
Wow, I've always kept my garlic in my veggie bin in the fridge. I guess I'll try keeping them out and see if it works out better.

No root veggies in the fridge. Too moist of an environment.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:55 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

And I always keep my carrots in the fridge, petey. where do you keep yours?
Old 02-03-2007, 04:16 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug
And I always keep my carrots in the fridge, petey. where do you keep yours?
In the pot with the rest of the ingredients
Old 02-03-2007, 04:29 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Yes...keep your garlic in a small basket in the kitchen on your counter. I have a tiny basket that holds one garlic bulb. The basket has a hole in the top. This is perfect. When used ready for another bulb. Perhaps one bulb weekly. NEVER refrigerate.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:06 PM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by petey
I'm just curious how bacterium Clostridium botulinum can develope if the garlic is submerged in oil (no air ) and the jar is closed tightly and kept refridgerated as well? Iv'e been doing this for some years now and the garlic is always good.
This is really getting away from NYBrit's original question ....

Most bacteria are aerobic (grow in the presence of oxygen) and their growth is retarded in an anaerobic (no air) environment. C. botulinum, on the other hand, is an anaerobe - the presence of oxygen retards its growth, so in an oxygen deprived environment they proliferate (the spores germinate and produce the botulism toxins). A low temperature, under 2ºC/35.6ºF also helps retard the gemerination of the spores - and obviously storing at room temp on the counter would only speed up the process.

Garlic stored in unrefined Extra Virgin Olive Oil (cold pressed) is a bigger problem than when using refined oils - but, the problem is not eliminated without some modifications - the sodium (NaCl) concentration needs to be increased to 0.5-4.0% and the pH needs to be lowered to about 5.0 or less (there's a ratio of NaCl to pH - and I haven't found the definative answer, yet).

C. botulinum is also present in raw and pasturized honey. That is why honey is not recomended for very young children, the elderly, or anyone with an immune deficiency.

Commercially produced garlic infused oils, or garlic in oil, have to be treated with antimicrobial agents, NaCl, acidifies, or a combination.