"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-12-2009, 12:28 PM   #31
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predator04 View Post
A garlic press is a unitasker, a kitchen tool that does only one thing. A tool that does only one thing is a waste of money and takes up space that could be used to store tools that do more than one thing.
Yes Im a Alton brown fan.
On the whole, I agree with this about uni-taskers (I'm an alton brown fan too!). I think it's an especially good guideline for small or storage-challenged kitchens.

I take a somewhat tempered approach to this, though. I consider size and the frequency with which I'll use a tool. If it's small and useful, and I'll use it often, I'm not so worried about it. The larger it is, the more I'll have to use it in order to buy it. But I do own some larger multi-taskers. A coffee maker, an ice cream maker, an air popper.

I think I lean more toward William Morris' approach:

“Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful.”

Old 09-12-2009, 12:41 PM   #32
Master Chef

I LOVE garlic, & there are very few savory dishes that leave my kitchen without it. As such, I have a few ways & tools for dealing with it.

1) Your garden variety garlic press. Rarely used these days but useful in a pinch, especially if you just want to crush & toss a clove - including the tasty "residue" - into a bowl of soup for added zing.

2) A garlic "slicer/grater". This little baby gets a lot of use. It's like a miniature mandoline for garlic. Has a little loading tube for the cloves, a little pusher, & 2 sides - one side is for producing paper-thin slices, the other for grating.

3) A large sharp flat-sided knife. Another tool that sees more use than the above two combined. A good smack with my fist on the flat side of the knife atop unpeeled cloves slightly crushes them & removes the peels instantly, then a light sprinkle of salt keeps the garlic from flying all over the cutting board while I'm chopping or mincing.

Old 09-12-2009, 04:06 PM   #33
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple*tart View Post
On the whole, I agree with this about uni-taskers (I'm an alton brown fan too!). I think it's an especially good guideline for small or storage-challenged kitchens.

I take a somewhat tempered approach to this, though. I consider size and the frequency with which I'll use a tool. If it's small and useful, and I'll use it often, I'm not so worried about it. The larger it is, the more I'll have to use it in order to buy it. But I do own some larger multi-taskers. A coffee maker, an ice cream maker, an air popper.

I think I lean more toward William Morris' approach:

“Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful.”
yea but like one person said on here most of the garlic is still in the press. you mostly get oil and mush. not worth it for me. i like to chop mine so i can make it hotter or less hotter ( the finer you chop it the hotter it till be. so the bigger cuts you make it wont be so hot) I love garlic and seeing it mushed up like that just makes me want to cry ( not really come on people!) its like murdering the garlic!
Old 09-12-2009, 04:50 PM   #34
Senior Cook

Quote:
yea but like one person said on here most of the garlic is still in the press.
Ugh, my first garlic press was like that. With my current press (which I linked a few pages back), though, not so much. Especially if I peel the garlic before putting it in the press. It does have kind of a mushy texture, but I like that in most applications. I feel like it allows the garlic to really permeate and infuse the dish.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:31 PM   #35
Senior Cook

Quote:
A garlic press is a unitasker, a kitchen tool that does only one thing. A tool that does only one thing is a waste of money and takes up space that could be used to store tools that do more than one thing.

Just like a TV remote ... toss 'em, they can only be used for the TV so you might as well save the space and get up and change the channels and volume by hand

Specialized tools are made for a reason, to specialize.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:08 PM   #36
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefallin1309 View Post
Just like a TV remote ... toss 'em, they can only be used for the TV so you might as well save the space and get up and change the channels and volume by hand

Specialized tools are made for a reason, to specialize.
exactly! now your getting it. i have a remote that cost me $1000 and it can do everything from turn on the ac to the sprinklers to the lights in the house. good looking out!
Old 09-13-2009, 10:42 AM   #37
Senior Cook

Quote:
exactly! now your getting it. i have a remote that cost me $1000 and it can do everything from turn on the ac to the sprinklers to the lights in the house. good looking out!

Doesn't sound like a TV remote at all, sounds like an expensive toy. It's good to be rich enough to throw away money A $10 garlic press does just wonderfully, it would seem a little overboard to buy one that would have enough attachments like a swiss knife that would warrant $1000 garlic press