"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-16-2011, 07:51 PM   #11
Flour Child

I'm with MSC...I have Trader Joe's fresh frozen garlic cubes in the freezer as we speak...tastes as good as fresh, is convenient, lasts...but I also use fresh garlic when I want roasted whole cloves or rough chopped.

I've also tried the vaccum sealed (in plastic) peeled kind and those are great. But I'm nervous about food that comes in plastic.

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:56 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

I buy a refrigerated Garlic and Ginger Paste from an Indian store...Very nice in stir fry etc....Other than that, we use fresh garlic.....Have tried the various garlic in the jar products, but just can't get happy with it.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:17 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
I buy a refrigerated Garlic and Ginger Paste from an Indian store...Very nice in stir fry etc....Other than that, we use fresh garlic.....Have tried the various garlic in the jar products, but just can't get happy with it.
Bob, is that garlic and ginger paste combined or to different products?

Also, how does the flavor compare?
Old 01-16-2011, 09:30 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

All in one jar Andy....It actually says Ginger and Garlic....so a little heavier on the Ginger ~~~ The Ginger flavor compares very well to fresh grated...The Garlic? About like you would expect from a "jar garlic" LOOK ~~~ I pay $2.99 a jar.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:45 PM   #15
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

My favorite Garlic Christopher Ranch
Old 01-16-2011, 10:15 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
All in one jar Andy....It actually says Ginger and Garlic....so a little heavier on the Ginger ~~~ The Ginger flavor compares very well to fresh grated...The Garlic? About like you would expect from a "jar garlic" LOOK ~~~ I pay $2.99 a jar.

Thanks, Bob. I'll look for it next time I go Indian grocery shopping. I usually do it by hand and this could save a little time.

My Indian neighbors make up a big batch and use it over time. I don't cook Indian recipes often enough to do that.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:23 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Andy, I use it primarily in Asian stir fry concoctions....as well as an occasional curry dish....It's shelf stable...refrigerate after opening. Also it's open dated so check the date closely....The store here leaves out-of-date merchandise on the shelf...So it's buyer beware!

Fun!

Old 01-17-2011, 07:37 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Speaking of garlic...I am partial to Argentinian or Californian garlic when I run out of garlic from the garden. I HATE garlic from China--it turns moldy within days, doesn't have the flavor it should, texture, etc., etc., etc. I chop my own garlic, cover it with olive oil and pop it in a jar for the fridge or sautee / roast garlic / chop garlic and freeze it. Same with onions, leeks, and shallots. It works for me and is a lot cheaper than buying it in a jar already. Guess the jar costs a lot <g>.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:52 AM   #19
Master Chef

I have used the whole, peeled when I needed a lot, but it is not commonly, readily available here. I had no problems with it at all, just that it is a lot of garlic. The minced/chopped whatever in small jars I find bitter, I'd rather use garlic salt/powder/dried when the "fresh" garlic isn't good. One local farmer has taken to selling something I think is called hard neck garlic. What a revelation! Yummmy yumm yumm.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:53 AM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Speaking of garlic...I am partial to Argentinian or Californian garlic when I run out of garlic from the garden. I HATE garlic from China--it turns moldy within days, doesn't have the flavor it should, texture, etc., etc., etc. I chop my own garlic, cover it with olive oil and pop it in a jar for the fridge or sautee / roast garlic / chop garlic and freeze it. Same with onions, leeks, and shallots. It works for me and is a lot cheaper than buying it in a jar already. Guess the jar costs a lot <g>.
Storing fresh garlic in oil is a botulism risk! It's dangerous.

You need to keep it refrigerated and use or throw it away after 10 days.

Tags
garlic