Garlic in a jar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've never had garlic go moldy. Sprouting is another issue... This stuff must be pretty easy to grow for as easily as it sprouts.

I see a lot of Americans in here, hi!

I'm in the UK and there's two kind of jarred garlic I use. The first is a puree, labelled 'Minced Garlic', which is very flavoursome and convenient for adding to sauces etc. The second is 'Very Lazy Garlic', and similar in concept to what the OP described. I use this when I want the garlic to be seen; on chicken, salads, etc.

Speaking of garlic, I've used the small cloves where there are like 5 or 6 heads in a mesh bag but I've also seen a single head in the stores that is really big. Does anyone use that? What would be the point in buying that? So you only have to chop one clove instead of like 5?

Speaking of garlic, I've used the small cloves where there are like 5 or 6 heads in a mesh bag but I've also seen a single head in the stores that is really big. Does anyone use that? What would be the point in buying that? So you only have to chop one clove instead of like 5?

are you sure it's one clove?
I feel like you are speaking of elephant garlic which is just huge and isn't really garlic at all.
as for the size of a clove..the size of it makes a difference in the flavor that one clove has, as does how you cut it to release the oils...so it all has it's own reason for use.
I personally stick to my usual head of garlic...and the ones I'll have this spring after the snow goes away.

I said it was one huge head. And yea I think its called elephant garlic. I didn't realize it wasn't garlic...

I said it was one huge head. And yea I think its called elephant garlic. I didn't realize it wasn't garlic...

Yes, that is elephant garlic. It has a much milder flavor...it is still in the alium family if not strictly a garlic.

It's not the chopping, it's getting the skins off, especially when they are small.:chef:

I like it, when I need a lot of garlic at once. Otherwise, it definitely has a shelf life and will go bad if you are unable to use it up. With just the two of us, it's too much for everyday use.
There's only two of us, too, but the way we use garlic it wouldn't last a week!

That said I'm totally addicted to fresh garlic and don't mind the extra prep, even when I have to make a lot of it. Actually I stumbled upon a little tool in the store one day that cut my garlic prep time by 90%....it's brilliant. It's a little handheld garlic mincer that came with a "garlic peeler" that works astonishingly well....it's just a tube of rubber, you stick the clove in the tube, roll it on the counter top a few times and the paper falls right off. Unreal. If you use garlic even half as much as we do you guys should look for this:

Garlic Pro Dicer and Peeler Set review at Kaboodle

There are many similarly designed ones but they have plastic "teeth" instead of the steel blades that this one has (this is the same type I stumbled upon in the store). I've never used the plastic kind but I can't imagine it works nearly as well as the blades do. Even with the stainless blades I sometimes have trouble turning it, garlic can be tough! :LOL:

That peeler really does work, though!

Speaking of garlic...I am partial to Argentinian or Californian garlic when I run out of garlic from the garden. I HATE garlic from China--it turns moldy within days, doesn't have the flavor it should, texture, etc., etc., etc.
That might have something to do with how far it has to travel to get to you....I'm assuming you're in the US? Here in the Philippines almost all our garlic comes from China and Taiwan and it's fantastic....I buy a huge bag because we use so much of it and it'll keep for 3 weeks easy. Only once did I have one clove that started to get moldy. Otherwise the only issue I have is garlic that starts sprouting. :LOL:

That said I'm totally addicted to fresh garlic and don't mind the extra prep, even when I have to make a lot of it. Actually I stumbled upon a little tool in the store one day that cut my garlic prep time by 90%....it's brilliant. It's a little handheld garlic mincer that came with a "garlic peeler" that works astonishingly well....it's just a tube of rubber, you stick the clove in the tube, roll it on the counter top a few times and the paper falls right off. Unreal. If you use garlic even half as much as we do you guys should look for this:

There are many similarly designed ones but they have plastic "teeth" instead of the steel blades that this one has (this is the same type I stumbled upon in the store). I've never used the plastic kind but I can't imagine it works nearly as well as the blades do. Even with the stainless blades I sometimes have trouble turning it, garlic can be tough! :LOL:

I have the Garlic Pro Dicer and peeler set, and I agree they work great. :cool:

:)Barbara

Thanks, Cory...I wishbooked it at Amazon. I really don't mind the prep, but I usually have to set up in the living room...not enough counter space!:LOL: We love 40clove-chicken.

Mimizkitchen said:
I'm talking about the whole peeled kind you find in the produce section... I bought this today, as I needed a lot of garlic for what I was cooking, and have never used it before... Does anybody use it, and what are your professional opinions about it... Good, bad, so so in a pinch...

Wait- so it's in a jar and not in liquid? Interesting... I would think it would be about the same as fresh, since it isn't cooked at all like the minced stuff in the water and phosphoric acid. I don't really think peeling garlic is hard, but I suppose if you need a lot it would get annoying after awhile. Have you used it yet? What did you think? How well did it keep?

Yes Skittle I used it and loved it, it was such a time saver... I don't mind peeling garlic but I was having a cooking day and needed alot, so it worked out really well... And no it's not in liquid, just peeled garlic in a plastic jar found in the produce aisle, it's by spice world... :):):)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom