Garlic in a jar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mimizkitchen

Head Chef
I'm talking about the whole peeled kind you find in the produce section... I bought this today, as I needed a lot of garlic for what I was cooking, and have never used it before... Does anybody use it, and what are your professional opinions about it... Good, bad, so so in a pinch...

Very convenient, lasts a goodly amount of time in a Debbie Meyer green bag, but
a bit expensive.
Tastes the same to me. (Home cook opinion.)

I like it but like the frozen garlic that comes in cubes, 20 cubes to a pack, at Trader Joe's. I think they last longer with less deterioration.

The garlic has been cooked a little and has a different flavor.
I am not sayin that's bad...just different...and needs to be used with that in mind.There are times when I want jarred,fresh,dried,roasted, etc. for their own properties.

I used to work 1/4 mile from the largest garlic producer and right across the street from the dump where the disposeed of the cooked/nasty dregs at 6:00 am.I live 15 miles away and can still smell it sometimes when the conditions are right.

Not a professional opinion, but a recent opinion from someone who used this garlic for the first time about two months ago. It's convenient, but definitely not as flavorful as fresh garlic. At least not the jars I bought.
I was making six fatties and needed a lot of chopped garlic, so tried the stuff in the jar so I wouldn't have to deal with the paper and stickiness of preparing "real" garlic. The fatties were lacking their usual garlic flavor. The flavor was more mild/sweet tasting.
I can't say that I'd use it again, even if I need a lot of chopped garlic. Maybe.

Not a professional opinion, but a recent opinion from someone who used this garlic for the first time about two months ago. It's convenient, but definitely not as flavorful as fresh garlic. At least not the jars I bought.
I was making six fatties and needed a lot of chopped garlic, so tried the stuff in the jar so I wouldn't have to deal with the paper and stickiness of preparing "real" garlic. The fatties were lacking their usual garlic flavor. The flavor was more mild/sweet tasting.
I can't say that I'd use it again, even if I need a lot of chopped garlic. Maybe.

It's not the stuff in a jar all chopped up and sitting in some kind of preservative, it's spice worlds whole peeled garlic, and it has not been cooked in any way, just peeled...:):):)

I like it, when I need a lot of garlic at once. Otherwise, it definitely has a shelf life and will go bad if you are unable to use it up. With just the two of us, it's too much for everyday use.

oops, my bad Mimi. I thought all jarred garlic was the same, just whole, chopped or minced. Off to Google Spice World's garlic.

Oh yeah... it looks just like plain, peeled garlic. No liquid.
Their site doesn't give any descriptions on their products that I could find, but that's also the maker of the chopped garlic I used.

I'm with MSC...I have Trader Joe's fresh frozen garlic cubes in the freezer as we speak...tastes as good as fresh, is convenient, lasts...but I also use fresh garlic when I want roasted whole cloves or rough chopped.

I've also tried the vaccum sealed (in plastic) peeled kind and those are great. But I'm nervous about food that comes in plastic.

I buy a refrigerated Garlic and Ginger Paste from an Indian store...Very nice in stir fry etc....Other than that, we use fresh garlic.....Have tried the various garlic in the jar products, but just can't get happy with it.

I buy a refrigerated Garlic and Ginger Paste from an Indian store...Very nice in stir fry etc....Other than that, we use fresh garlic.....Have tried the various garlic in the jar products, but just can't get happy with it.

Bob, is that garlic and ginger paste combined or to different products?

Also, how does the flavor compare?

All in one jar Andy....It actually says Ginger and Garlic....so a little heavier on the Ginger ~~~ The Ginger flavor compares very well to fresh grated...The Garlic? About like you would expect from a "jar garlic" LOOK ~~~ I pay $2.99 a jar.

Last edited:
All in one jar Andy....It actually says Ginger and Garlic....so a little heavier on the Ginger ~~~ The Ginger flavor compares very well to fresh grated...The Garlic? About like you would expect from a "jar garlic" LOOK ~~~ I pay $2.99 a jar.

Thanks, Bob. I'll look for it next time I go Indian grocery shopping. I usually do it by hand and this could save a little time.

My Indian neighbors make up a big batch and use it over time. I don't cook Indian recipes often enough to do that.

Last edited:
Andy, I use it primarily in Asian stir fry concoctions....as well as an occasional curry dish....It's shelf stable...refrigerate after opening. Also it's open dated so check the date closely....The store here leaves out-of-date merchandise on the shelf...So it's buyer beware!

Fun!

Speaking of garlic...I am partial to Argentinian or Californian garlic when I run out of garlic from the garden. I HATE garlic from China--it turns moldy within days, doesn't have the flavor it should, texture, etc., etc., etc. I chop my own garlic, cover it with olive oil and pop it in a jar for the fridge or sautee / roast garlic / chop garlic and freeze it. Same with onions, leeks, and shallots. It works for me and is a lot cheaper than buying it in a jar already. Guess the jar costs a lot <g>.

I have used the whole, peeled when I needed a lot, but it is not commonly, readily available here. I had no problems with it at all, just that it is a lot of garlic. The minced/chopped whatever in small jars I find bitter, I'd rather use garlic salt/powder/dried when the "fresh" garlic isn't good. One local farmer has taken to selling something I think is called hard neck garlic. What a revelation! Yummmy yumm yumm.

Speaking of garlic...I am partial to Argentinian or Californian garlic when I run out of garlic from the garden. I HATE garlic from China--it turns moldy within days, doesn't have the flavor it should, texture, etc., etc., etc. I chop my own garlic, cover it with olive oil and pop it in a jar for the fridge or sautee / roast garlic / chop garlic and freeze it. Same with onions, leeks, and shallots. It works for me and is a lot cheaper than buying it in a jar already. Guess the jar costs a lot <g>.

Storing fresh garlic in oil is a botulism risk! It's dangerous.

You need to keep it refrigerated and use or throw it away after 10 days.

Back
Top Bottom