"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-06-2006, 11:16 AM   #31
Head Chef

When a resipe calls for onions I generally substitute garlic instead (my wife is allergic to onion). I use 3 cloves in place of a medium onion.

Old 09-06-2006, 03:13 PM   #32
Head Chef

There now you've all gone and done it again! I've drooled all over my keyboard!

Garlic is very easy to grow! There are two different kinds "Soft neck" and "hard neck" and a whole bunch of different varieties. So for those you who find it expensive in the store you might try growing your own!

Old 09-06-2006, 04:30 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Urmaniac, I've read that eating a piece of parsley is a breath-killer, but haven't tried it myself.

BJ, the chicken w 40 cloves o' garlic, I've seen over and over on the net. There is another made with vermouth (if I recall, from James Beard) and chicken, 40 cloves and artichokes.

Jessica, if you've never tried it, look for elephant garlic in the market.

If you're in Gilroy, CA, there's a garlic festival once a year (it may have ended in July), where every food imaginable is made with - what else - garlic. Even garlic ice cream.

Here's a peek (and check out the garlic web cam):

http://www.gilroygarlicfestival.com/

Mr. Garlic 1979
Bob Kraemer

Mr. Garlic 2002
Gerry Foisy (With Garlic Queen and her court)
Old 09-07-2006, 12:24 AM   #34
Senior Cook

Mish,
Now I've gotta go and buy an elephant! Wonder what my husband would think if I braught an alien home too!!
Old 09-07-2006, 12:38 AM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

parsley or parsley seeds are a breath cleanser. they help neutralize the smell from onions and garlic, caused by the sulphur in them.
those tiny pills that kill bad breath, i forgot the name of them, are primarily parsley seed oil.

garlic is a mainstay in my house as well.

the first thing i thought of was a balboa sandwich. it's a philly cheese steak, but on buttery italian bread with a ton o' garlic.

also, i know very few people who don't like a garlicy cioppino/fruitti di mare/zuppa di pesce.
make a simple tomato sauce (thick or thin) with lotsa garlic, then toss in an assortment of fish and shellfish. clams, shrimp, squid, conch, mussels, crab, lobster, cod, tilapia, swordfish, basa, etc..

and you haven't lived as a garlic lover until you've had pizza topped with an entire head of chopped garlic (before baking, that is. the garlic toasts as it sinks into the cheese... )

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 12:48 AM   #36
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
and you haven't lived as a garlic lover until you've had pizza topped with an entire head of chopped garlic (before baking, that is. the garlic toasts as it sinks into the cheese... )
I must live!!
Old 09-07-2006, 04:01 AM   #37
Senior Cook

I primarily eat garlic to keep away the vampires. I find this method absolutely failproof.

Best regards,
Alex R.
Old 09-07-2006, 04:50 AM   #38
Cook

Garlicness

I throw 3 or 4 whole garlics on our lpg (liquid propane gas) bbq until they soften.
Then they peel easy, and are good for adding in recipes, or trimmed down for garlic chips, or I can just eat them like oranges.BURP!!!
Ive always got a few on the fly, that is , in some stage of cookedness(?)!
Old 09-07-2006, 08:58 AM   #39
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Thanks everyone for the suggestion to solve my problem... actually I heard about parsley and tried it... unfortunately didn't work for me... I used our regular flat leaved parsley though, is it supposed to be the other kind, the dark curly leaved parsley that should do the job? Or, I know the raw garlic affects differently on different people, some lucky people, like Beth, hardly suffer from it. Maybe I am the opposite, who get the extra heavy effect..

Anyhoo, Cliveb/Mudbug, that savoury cheesecake recipe sounds so brilliant, so original, too!! I will save this recipe, will be a must try!! And bucky, so is your garlic pizza!!
Old 09-08-2006, 12:32 AM   #40
Senior Cook

Roasted Garlic Potatoes:

I just found this one...i will definately be making this in the next few days:

1 3/4 lbs baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 in cubes
3 T lemon juice
1 t olive oil
1/2 t salt
4 garlic cloves, minced
cooking spray

Preheat 425

Combine: 1st 5 ingreds in a med bowl; toss well to coat. Let stand 10 min. Spoon potato mixt. into an 11 x 7 in baking dish coated w/ cooking spray. Bake at 425 for 35 min. or until potatoes are tender and lightly browned, stirring occasionally.

This came from the Cooking Light Annual Recipes 1997 cookbook